Anderson Trade

Disgruntled Anderson dealt to Celtics in seven-player deal

 CBS SportsLine wire reports
 Feb. 18, 1998

 TORONTO -- The beleaguered Toronto Raptors continued their trading
 binge today, making a seven-player deal with the Boston Celtics in
which
 they rid themselves of unhappy guard Kenny Anderson.

 The Raptors also sent center Zan Tabak and forward Popeye Jones to the
 Celtics for guards Chauncey Billups and Dee
 Brown and forwards John Thomas and Roy
 Rogers.

 Anderson, acquired in the blockbuster trade
 last week for star guard Damon Stoudamire,
 had refused to report to Toronto, a franchise
 troubled by front-office instability and an
 11-40 record.

 Billups, the key for Toronto, was averaging
 11.1 points per game for the Celtics. The
 rookie was the Celtics first choice, third
 overall, in last summer's draft.

 "HE'S A GREAT POINT GUARD,"
 forward Marcus Camby said of Billups.
 ``We played against him a few times and
 he's lit us up pretty good.

 "We're eager and excited for him to join us."

 Brown, a seven-year veteran, was averaging 19.8 minutes and 6.8 points
 per game for Boston.

 "I'm very excited," Brown told The Fan radio station. ``Hopefully I can

 help the Raptors get turned around in the right direction."

 Rogers, who started his NBA career with the Vancouver Grizzlies, has
 played in only nine games this season, averaging less than a point per
game
 (0.8). Thomas was averaging 3.3 points per game and 11.2 minutes in his

 rookie season.

 RAPTORS GENERAL MANAGER GLEN GRUNWALD described
 Thomas as a "dark horse" in the deal, and raved about the potential of
 Billups.

 "I think we have a very bright future now," Grunwald said.

 Anderson, a former All-Star, is the key for the Celtics even though
he's
 struggled this season. He averaged 12.6 points and 5.4 assists per game
for
 Portland.

 Jones and Tabak are both currently on the disabled list. Jones has
played
 only 14 games this season, averaging 8.5 points. Tabak was averaging
6.4
 points.

 The trade means only seven Raptors remain from the team that started
the
 season: guard Doug Christie, who has asked to be traded; Sharone
Wright,
 who's been on the injury list all season; Camby; rookie Tracy McGrady,
 Shawn Respert, John Wallace and Chris Garner.