FW: Billups gone?

-----Original Message-----
From:	Rohan Prashad [SMTP:rprasha@clemson.edu]
Sent:	Tuesday, February 17, 1998 8:57 PM
To:	Celtics
Subject:	Billups gone?

ESPN  reports:

Sources said Saturday that the Trail Blazers were looking to move Kenny
Anderson to the Celts for Chauncey Billups. Boston would also have had to
give up a contract to make it fit for the salary cap, but according to Rick
Pitino, it never reached that stage of consideration.

"They asked us if we were interested, but we told them we had absolutely no
interest in that," said Rick Pitino before heading off to practice Saturday
afternoon at the University of San Francisco. "It's not that we don't like
Kenny Anderson. We just don't want to trade Chauncey."

During the game they just announced that Billups, Brown & Rogers could be
going to Toronto for Kenny Anderson & ?  Details to be announced after the
game. Pitino stated that 2-3 teams have proposed deals but nothing concrete
at the current time.  I also just read Doug Christie has asked out of
Toronto.   If we do take Anderson I hope it includes a John Wallace or
Christie or Camby.  Preferably it is a 3 way where Anderson would be dealt
to Philly, L.A.  or New York for someone.  I am surprised Pitino would go
after Anderson with his past attitude problems.  Is he going to bust his as
in R.P's D ?  I wouldn't bet on it.

Another pitiful performance for the first 3 quarters tonight.  A galant
effort in the forth but stupid mistakes and missed free throws lost it for
us.  Another poor game for Walker 3-15.  Is it me or since he shaved his
head his performance significantly worsened ?  Bring back the pelo Toine !

I was just sitting here looking at the Celtics-Kings box score at
ESPNet, and I  happened to notice that Chauncey has not logged any
minutes.  This could be for a number of reasons; including a possible
trade.
If the trade was to acquire Kenny Anderson, I'm all for it.  I'm a big
fan of Billups, and have supported him since the draft, but I think this
would be a good deal for the Celts.  If Anderson's contract is being
taken care of by Paul Allen, this would be a huge financial lift.
Also since Kenny won't report to the Raptors, we should get a better
than normal deal for Chauncey.  Chauncey has a lot of potential, but if
we can acquire a top notch pg, plus maybe John Wallace for Billups that
would be good.  We also might be able to stick the Raptors with a bad
contract (Dee, Minor, Knight).  Having Kenny run the point would also
make us more attractive to free agents.
I maybe be jumping to conclusions predicting Billups' exit, and I would
be completely content if we kept Chauncey,  but sitting here typing this
and looking at the possibilities I begin to like this potential deal
more and more.

Rohan