Re: Joe Smith deal?

>Minnesota paid Garnett 18 million per year for 17 pts, 8 rebounds, and 2
>blocks per game, and Garnett is putting up virtually the same numbers this
>year, so why does it sound so surprising that Smith will recieve 10-12
>million for very similar stats? ( 17 pts, 7 boards, and 1 block, and 1
>assist)    I don't think either player is worth the money, but the sad fact
>is that they both will get it.

Garnett:

17.7 points
50.7 FG%
76.3 FT%
38% 3PT%
2 blocks
1.7 steals
4.1 assists
9.2 rebounds

Smith:

17.4 points
43.2 FG%
76.7 FT%
0% 3PT%
0.8 blocks
0.9 steals
1.4 assists
6.8 rebounds

Garnett is better in every stat (OK, Smith shoots 0.3% better from the
line), is younger, is an all-star, and shows more promise currently for
being an NBA star.  It may be correct to say that Smith is 2/3 the player
Garnett is, but I'm not sure that will bring him 2/3 the salary.  It might,
though.  I think we're all just in shock at the potential for a player to
get that kind of contract.  Especially when people are still hemmoraging
over Knight's 7 year $22 million one.

Matt