Re: Mashburn trade

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Wang <awang@mit.edu>

>I'd say the proposed trade (essentially Mercer and Knight for Mashburn)
>is really something that Pitino is the most qualified person in the
>world to evaluate. Mashburn's had that knee injury but other than that
>seems to have a pretty healthy history; does one injury make someone
>injury-prone? Or is there more of an injury history?

I don't think Mash is injury prone and playing for the Heats I have no doubt
that he is probably in the best shape of his life.

>Comparisons: Mashburn is 25, Mercer is 21. Mashburn has three-point range
>which Mercer still has to develop. Mercer seems to be more athletic.
>There are some important questions that Pitino may have insight on:
>  Does Mashburn still have the "scoring machine" ability that he displayed
>   in Dallas?

I do like Mash in the Pitino system but not at the expense of Mercer.

>  How much will Mashburn improve in Pitino's system?

Surely he will improve, as all his other wildcat colleagues have improved
plus he can hit the ground running.

>Right now Mashburn is the third option for Miami; on the Celtics he
>would probably be option 1A (after Walker). Could he step up?

I think he can but again I am not willing to give up Mercer.

>Do people on this list consider Knight an asset or liability at this
>point, with his contract? There have been rumblings that he's unhappy
>here and judging by playing time and starts, Pitino's soured on him.

Knight is a nice to have player, who can come of the bench and play with
some energy at either 4 or 5. I don't think he liability even when he is not
scoring he rebounds and can block shots so I am not that disappointed by his
play but if we could trade him and that gets us a more versatile player then
I am all for it.
                                                                  - Mishra