Realistic trade possibilities?

All right.  Now that we've got the "Minor-for-Shaq" type trade talk out of
our system (hopefully), what about more realistic possibilities.

(1) Dee Brown - With his 32 point (8-10 on threes) performance, Dee might
		have earned his ticket out of town.  If Pitino continues
		to showcase him, and Dee continues to play well, other
		teams might be more interested in acquiring him (after
		all, he only has 2 years left on his contract after
		1997-8.)  But who do we trade him for?  Pooh Richardson
		makes no sense.  Could he even crack the Celtics top 3 point
		guards?  On the other hand, Dee's hot shooting from behind
		the arc might convince Pitino (who loves the three) to
		hang onto him.  Any deal for Brown would probably involve
		picking up another expensive player and/or getting next to
		nothing (but cap relief) in return.  I think a Brown trade
		is a possibility.

(2) Dana Barros - Pitino has talked about "building value" in the players
		  that he has.  He has most succeeded in reclaiming Dana
		  Barros (also, only injuries prevented a successful
		  reclamation of Pervis).  Barros has three years left at
		  slightly-better-than-Brown money, but he has become
		  (at worst) a solid backup point guard who plays hard
		  and can shoot.  Despite the extra year on his contract,
		  I think Barros has more trade value then Brown, but he
		  is also worth much more to the Celtics.  I think that
		  the Celtics will keep him, since there will always be
		  room in Pitino's system for a player with Dana's
		  talents.

(3) Greg Minor - Has played well at times this year, but hasn't been
		 consistent.  He also has a big contract.  I think Pitino
		 would move him, but I don't think anyone really wants
		 him at his price (if the C's cut him outright, I'm sure
		 he'd get lots of phone calls, though.)  I think MInor
		 will still be here after the deadline.

(4) Travis Knight - Has shown flashes, but lacks consistency.  Still, he
		    is not the "McIlvane-type" bust that many predicted.
		    He probably has some value, and Pitino would probably
		    move him if he had better options at center.  But, I
		    think the best thing Pitino could do with Travis is
		    get him to bulk up a little in the offseason and
		    continue to develop him.  I think he will be here
		    after the dealine.

(5) Pervis Ellison - He would be a good trade candidate if he were
		     healthy, given how well he's played.  His injuries
		     ruin his market value.

(6) Dontae Jones, Roy Rogers - These guys are not "injured enough" to be
		on the injured list.  If any team in the NBA wanted them,
		they would complain to the league and force the Celtics
		to activate or release them.  No trade value, except as a
		throw in.

(7) Tyus Edney - Also has no trade value except as a throw in.

(8) Andrew DeClerq, John Thomas, Bruce Bowen, Walter McCarty - All of
		these guys are role players who are more valuable to the
		Celtics than whatever the C's could get in a trade for
		them.  The only way any of these guys would be moved is
		as a throw in in a larger trade.

(9) Ron Mercer, Chauncey Billups - Pitino could get decent value in
		exchange for either of these guys, but I don't see
		it happening.

(10) Antoine Walker - Not going anywhere.

So, in summary, I would say that the most likely player(s) to be traded
are Brown, Barros, Minor, and/or Knight, in that order, with Dee Brown the
only player wh has a realistic chance of being traded.

I wish there were some way Pitino could acquire a high pick in next year's
first round (I would love to see Antawn Jamison starting alongside Walker
in the frontcourt), but there really isn't much chance of that happening
unless Pitino is going to move Billups and/or Mercer, and I think those
two are here to stay.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu