defending traders

Just a quick note about trade discussions. It seems to me that the Celtics
consistently have a decent chance to win games even though they shoot
poorly and barely ever make it to the free throw line. I look at these box
scores and think, "If this team only had a decent big man, someone who
could defend the Matt Geigers of the world, get a few rebounds, and score a
few points, nothing dramatic just a little here and there, they'd be
winning these games." You put someone like Ike Austin, or Matt Geiger on
this team and we're discussing how they're going to do in the playoffs, not
whether they're going to make them....next year. I think the "traders"
among us are just expressing their frustrations with these near misses and
their hopes because with a little tweeking, this team is not that far off.
No, the Celtics are not going to the finals this year, and yes, Pitino has
to think long term and not make trades that only lock them into 45-50 wins
and first round and out year after year (see the Blazers). But, something
is going to have to be done. If you can't talk about it on this list, then
where? By the way...forget Camby, they don't have a chance to get Hardaway
and I still think a good big man would make things a lot easier for a
rookie point guard so....keep Billups. I think his game will come around.

Paul M.