Hornets 93 Celts 89

This is the proverbial one that got away.  The Celts started off on a rather
ominous note, as on their first possession, Billups penetrated and drew 2
defenders.  He fed Toine for what should have been an easy layup, but it
rolled off the rim harmlessly.  On their next possession, Toine rebounded
and threw a pass away.

Even though they had this dubious beginning, they got things in gear
shortly thereafter, led by Dee who scored 5 of the first 9 points.  We
went on a 7-0 run started by a DQ offensive tip off of a Dee offensive
rebound miss which made the score 13-11.  Toine and DQ were crashing the
boards quite nicely and playing a very alert weakside help defense for
the benefit of Dee who was assigned Glen Rice (Who both Tommy and Cooz
gushed over in their pre-game analysis).  A DQ block on Rice led to a
jumper by Walter followed by a Dee 3 pt play off a gorgeous feed from
Toine.  By now Billups had been assessed his 2nd foul and was replaced by
Dana.  A look-away pass to Walter from Toine for a dunk made it 20-12 and
forced Coach Cowens into a timeout.  At that stage, we were crushing them
on the boards as we had 11 boards (5 off.) to their 6 boards (0 off.).  A
Bowen (BB) jumper made it a 10 pt lead with 1:50 remaining in the quarter
22-12, before a Geiger layup stopped the Charlotte bleeding.  At this
point, we had forced them into 7 turnovers, while committing 2.  Travis
made a sensational hustle steal off the press and fed BB for a jumper
followed by a J.R. Reid technical and the score was 27-14.  Knight picked
up his 2nd foul on what appeared to be a nice block on Geiger.  The
quarter ended with the score Celt's 27, Charlotte 15.

Dana hit a long jumper to extend the lead to 14 before Geiger hit a
jumper and 2 quick layups sandwiched between 2 BB free throws.  BB had
some particularly inspiring play.  During one flurry, he lost the dribble
after he slipped, but regained his handle as he got off the floor and hit
a short jumper.  DQ also had an impressive span as he had consecutive
offensive putbacks to make it 37-28 with 5:38 remaining in the half.
Billups picked up #3 on the ensuing possession and he sat for the
remainder.  After a Geiger stuff, DQ was whistled for #3 even though he
played good straight up defense on the play.  The Hornets had quietly
started a 9-2 run of their own to cut the lead to 1 on a Rice turnaround
jumper over Dee, at 37-36.  Thomas tipped in a BB miss before Mason was
charged with a foul on Toine.  It occurred with 2:49 left in the half and he
went for a little walk, generally acting like a spoiled brat.  Toine
hit the throws and the C's led by 5, 41-36.  BB stripped Wesley, fed
Toine who tried unnecessarily to go behind the back with his dribble
in the lane and was called for a travel.  *THAT WAS A HUGE TURNOVER.
Mason hit 2 throws and Wesley ended the half with 2 jumpers to end
the half with the score Charlotte 44, Celts 43.

We had balanced scoring as evidenced by BB, Dee, toine and DQ each
with 8 pts and Barros with 5.  Geiger had a big half with 15 and
Wesley had 12 for them.

The third quarter was easily one of the worst shooting exhibitions
yet this season.  It seems that when a team makes a move on us, we
think we can reply with the outside shot.  We all know by now that
it's not the strength fo this edition.

Suffice it to say that the 3rd quarter was painful to watch
esthetically, but we were only down by 2 (67-65) entering the 4th.

Toine picked up an offensive foul and BJ Armstrong hit a 3 ptr
increasing the Hornet lead to 5.  Toine nade it a 1 put disadvantage
with 2 FT's and a stuff, when Chauncey was called for #4.  Dee gave
us the lead on another 3 ptr at 72-70 and then the WIERDEST THING
HAPPENED.  BJ hit a jumper and a foul was called on Toine
simultaneously.  The basket counted and Geiger who was pushed in the
back by Toine was awarded a FT.  Geiger was assessed a technical by
good buddy Dick Bavetta and Dana canned the Ft plus a long 3 making
the score Celts 77, Horns 73.  2 Geiger FT's and a Travis Williams
layup knotted it at 77 with 6:55 remaining forcing RP into a
timeout.  Dee threw a pass away and Geiger hit 2 more FT'smaking it
79-77.  2 Billups FT's (His only pts) tied it at 79 and they were
tied at 81 with 4:05 remaining.  Williams hit a jumper and at 3:35
Billups' shot was blocked by Wesley right into DQ's hands, but he
dropped it and it resulted in a Wesley layup making the score H's
85-81 with 3:17 left.  Toine hit a layup and Wesley was charged with
a Tech, follwed by an offensive foul called on him by Bavetta.  The
score was tied at 86 as Toine connected on 1/2 from the line.  Vernon
Maxwell hit a huge 3 ptr.  Toine rushed up a wild 3 pt response which
was a poor attempt and the fouling started before Dee hit a 3 ptr
cutting the lead to 2 (91-89) with 10.6 secs.  The C's set up the
press but Rice beat it with a cross-court pass to Mason who found a
cutting Maxwell for a layup making the final 93-89 Hornets.

Starters: DeClercq, McCarty, Walker, Billups, Brown
	  Geiger, Rice, Mason, Wesley, Royal

DQ: Great effort by Andrew.  Had a total of 5 off boards and scored
    11 pts on 5/7 from the floor.  Great block on Rice and seemed to
    really take to the help-out defense.  Deserves to be starting.
McCarty: Nothing special about this game for Wally, as he had 9 pts
    in 20 minutes.  Hit 1 three and subsequently missed 2 others.
Walker: Showed his brilliance at times and showed his immaturity at
    others.  Ended with 23 pts but shot 8/23 from the field and 0/4
    from downtown.  Dominated the boards with 16 (6 off) and had 5
    assists and 2 steals.  He hurt us by making poor decisions at
    crucial times.  The behind the back dribble was a gleaming
    example.
Brown: Actually, his defense impressed me more than his offense, which
    says something since he scored 20 pts.  He spent the majority of the
    night fronting Rice and getting help from his frontcourt.  It paid
    off as Rice was held to 14 pts of which only 3 were field goals.  His
    shooting is sporadic but he may have shown enough in Mercer's absence to
    warrant a look from someone in need of backcourt firepower.
Billups: Got in foul trouble early although I must say, and not because I
    like the kid, they were questionable calls at best.  Nonetheless he was
    clearly frustrated at the officiating and was not a factor at all as a
    result.  He did have 5 assists and should have had at least 3 more but
    the passes were mishandled after pretty nice feeds.
Bowen: I'm calling him BB from now on. Nice first half where he totalled
    all 8 of his pts, but this man can flat out PLAY DEFENSE.  He's got
    heart and hit a couple of outside shots.

Opposition players of note:

Geiger, Geiger, Geiger:  He's mean and he can score in close.  We
couldn't find anyone to handle him and he burnt us for 24 pts in 33 min
on 9/13 shooting
Mason: Harassed Toine all night long.  Muscled him.  Had 9 pts with 11
boards, 4 steals and 9 ASSISTS.
Rice: The fronting paid off.  14 pts, but 8 were from the line.
Wesley: 15 pts on 6/11 shooting, 5 asts, 6 turnovers.

Coaching:  RP's defensive scheme revolved around fronting Rice and having
anyone else in close proximity helping Dee.  It worked but poor decisions
killed us in the end.  Still this was a game I expect we will win before
the season is over.  Earlier in the year the may have wilted earlier in
the 4th quarter.  This team is not that far away.  They need some inside
scoring and a solid rebounder.

Cecil

Give em hell Art!