Re: Celts Win Down Stretch: Boston 107-Houston 96

At 11:48 AM 2/2/98 GMT, Bill Cooper wrote:

<snip>
>Players:
>Walker: Is it just my imagination or is Toine playing much better
>since he made the all-star team?  Either he feels less pressure to put
>up big numbers, or he's just feeling more confidence.  Walker scored
>27 (3-4 on threes), had 14 boards, 10 assists and 5 turnovers.  He
>made several wonderful passes for layups by Knight and Declercq.

Two thoughts. RP said on one of the local shows something along the lines
of: one of the reasons he was so happy that Walker was selected is that this
sort of achievement/honor makes Walker work even harder and try to be
better. I know that sounds somewhat like the usual 'humble star' pablum, but
he seemed to really mean it, and it fits with what we've seen of Walker's
psyche.

Second point is that this actually started about a week before the
selection, to my mind. Walker had been pressing, taking and missing too many
bad shots, getting even more stupid turnovers than usual from trying to do
the spectacular thing rather than the sure thing, etc. Very possibly in an
attempt to bolster his chances of getting selected. Then suddenly one game,
and noticeably in the NY game, he did the mature thing, what a TRUE
superstar does when their shot's not falling and they're creating more
headaches than offense for their team. Concentrate on everyting else you can
do better than most and help your teammates make up for the points you're
not getting. Instead of concentrating on clanging shots, he was setting up
teammates, keeping the ball moving better, going after more boards, etc.
Dunno if RP whispered a few sweet nothings in his ear, or what, but it was
wonderful to see. And he's been more this sort of player ever since, with
the odd lapse.

>Knight: Maybe Travis's best game of the season, certainly the best
>since he came back from the D.L.  He shot 8-9, had 4 boards, 2 assists
>and a block and a steal in 24 minutes.  He had the jumper working, and
>also made several nice drives to the basket (once he drove past Willis
>from beyond the three point line).

He was just generally the hustling Travis from early in the season again.
I'm not saying that he wasn't trying, but it just *looked* like he wasn't
even really trying to do much for the last several weeks before this game.
Toally out of the flow on both ends, and about 3 steps behind when they
tried to include him in the game. The Travis of last night was more like the
guy that impressed the hell out of me in the early days of the season with
how he got after stuff -e.g. he might not get the rebound, and might get
pushed around by bigger opponents trying for it, but he was going to go
after it and after it and after it while there was any chance of getting his
hands on it.

>Bowen: Pitino was insisting after the game that Bowen has the
>potential to be a great 3 point shooter.  Bruce was 2-2 tonight and
>scored 10 points (to go with 5 boards).

Hmmm. The best thing I'll say about Bruce's usual shooting is that he takes
less stupid shots than most of the guys, and fortunately he was hot in that
game. Great 3 point shooter???!! <shakes head in amazement>

<snip>
>Coaching: Maybe the best game of the home stand.  The Celts continued
>their improved play offensively and managed to press enough to push
>the tempo.

This game was the classic setup RP talked about in the preseason, when asked
how the press would play in the NBA.  Older team, playing on the road in the
second game of a back to back. The time when pure youthful energy has the
nesst chance of making a difference.

<snip>
-Kim
Kim Malo