Re: Josh, where's the talent?

What does it take?  If you are looking for a team to challenge for the
NBA title this year, you gotta look somewhere other than here.  If you're
looking for a team which will bust a gut and improve more over the next
few seasons than most teams in basketball, stay tuned right here.  But
please, can we kill all this trade talk.  If the Celts make a roster
move, we can pick it apart, but until then, I can't believe we're not all
collectively thrilled at the tremendous improvement this team has made
since last year.

Austin Croshere is a fine talent and will probably benefit a great deal
from being tutored by coach LJB.  He, unlike Billups or Mercer, has the
luxury of not having to be forced into the spotlight.  He doesn't have
the responsibility of either of them because he's in a situation which is
ideal for most rookies.  He's able to learn from watching
established veterans at practice and in game situations.

Back to the proposed trade for a moment, for those who wish for it to
occur, who would start at the point in place of Billups?  Who would
defend the other teams point as well as Chauncey has?  I think some of us
are too one dimensional, in our thinking, for our own good.  Claiming
that Billups will never be an NBA quality pg is speculation and opinion,
but who would have thought that he would be as good as he appears to be
defensively?  That's right!  Defence counts too!  But it is clearly
overlooked when discussing a point guard's requirements.

Ron Mercer shot 3/13 from the field last night as a shooting guard.  Does
anyone question his potential to be of NBA caliber?  I hope not.

Some postees seem to be hoping for the big enchalada to fall into our
laps right now, this minute, or at least before the trade deadline.  Not
this year.  IT AIN'T GONNNA HAPPEN.  Let maturity take its course, please.
We don't need any more fragile, oft-injured, slight centres.  We need a
stud rebounder, which neither Camby or Wallace are.  The draft doesn't
seem to be overwrought with what we need either, so why make such a deal
and risk destroying the cohesion and healthy effort we've been delighted
to witness on most nights?

Good to see some fine play from Travis last night.

Cecil