Re: Am I alone in my total loss of interest in this season?

In a message dated 12/30/98 9:17:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jim_meninno@hotmail.com writes:

>  Does the lockout change how I feel about the players, owners and my
>  team, the Boston Celtics?  No.  It's been a long time since I was an
>  innocent child who admired athletes for their competitiveness, work
>  ethic and sportsmanship.  For their part, the owners have always been
>  about making money, or ego, that's nothing new.

--- Good comment, Jim, and I concur with the small exception that I do admire
pro athletes for their competitiveness and work ethic.  They need the
competitiveness to make it to the pros, and the work ethic has to be
tremendous to attain the level they have reached.  Are these qualities I would
like in my circle of friends?  Probably not, but they are qualities uniquely
suited to athletes.  The dedication to the game they play is truly astounding,
especially when you realize that an NBA career lasts about five years on
average.  They've been at it, mostly, since they were little kids.
     Sportsmanship is a whole different issue which I won't address.  Spre.
Walker wiggle.  Trash talk.  etc.
     What this lockout has made me realize is that I compartmentalize
basketball.
     Like you, I'll root for the Celtics and regret the lockout because I
can't watch "my team" in what should be a very "up" year.  I miss my games.  I
miss being able to watch another Chicago-Utah series, because, IMHO, those
have been two super series, despite the endings, and even the endings were
spectacular entertainment.
     On the other hand, I realize that Gaston, Walker and all of them are in a
business, and it can be a nasty business, as the lockout shows.  And it all
stinks.
     But what is strange is that those two things seem to have nothing to do
with each other!  When I read about the lockout, a Walker fast break is far
from my mind.  When I watch a Walker break, I don't think about his contract.
And maybe that's the best way to deal with it.
     Happy New Year to all on the list and thanks for making even this long,
long off season entertaining.  May you and the Celtics prosper in 1999.
--- Doug in LA, whose last game in the Gahden was the triple OT vs Phoenix in
1976.