Re: Private teams books

In a message dated 12/29/98 4:35:10 PM Central Standard Time, bocelts@scsn.net
writes:

> Why should a private team have to open its books to the players.  The
>  players should negotiate an out if it turns out the books were cooked.
>  And a way to have access to the data upon a certain trigger point.  This
>  would get the information out, or have enough fear hanging over the
>  owner's heads to keep them relatively  honest.

-----In that case, though, why should a union agree to a cap at all?  By OKing
a cap, the players are essentially agreeing that there is a finite pot to be
split.  Must they take the word of the owners on the size of the pot?  Doesn't
seem real feasible.  "Gee, Michael, under the new cap figures, we can pay you
$136.75 next season.  Sorry."  (That's per season, not per gum chaw.)  Maybe
your "trigger point" idea will address my concerns.  What does such a trigger
point look like?
 - Doug in LA, figuring that if we have a 50 game season, the Clippers can't
lose 51 games.