New lawsuit for Spre

Spre and his team of crack lawyers will probably sue Tellum now for not
getting him a contract that required payment during a lockout and even
in the event that the NRLB dismissed the unfair labor claims, and even
if the arbiter ruled that he could not be paid.  It makes a much sense
as Hunter's tactics.

BTW, the article points out that Stern slammed Hunter's predictions, The
NLRB won't dismiss the complaint, the arbiter will rule in the player's
favor, they won't cancel any games, they won't miss the Christmas game
(yeah that was a great one, NBC won't let them!), they won't cancel the
allstar game and of course the famous, they won't cancel the season.

It also points out Hunter wants close to 57% of revenues, a additional
salary cap exception equal to the median salary, and elimination of the
punitive tax for big spenders if the league exceeds the targeted
revenues.  These tactics and demands will not be met by the owners, any
fool can see that.

When I was a baby lawyer, I once drafted a great 45 page complaint for a
commecercial client.  The senior partner in charge commended me on a
fine piece of writing and told me to gut it, and keep it to about 5
pages and lose all the big causes of action.  He explained to me that
you never show your client something that you can not deliver.  It gets
their expectations too high and you can never get a satisfactory result.

I think that is where Hunter is today.  In order to show the players he
was the man, he sold them a bill of goods, backed up by Falk and Tellum
and appealed to the "pride" of the athlete.  We are gonna kick the suits
butts, they are dissing you, etc.  He was convinced that the NBA would
not cancel the season and would give in to them at the last hour.  It is
probably beginning to dawn on him now that it ain't gonna happen.  He
made a lot of crucial mistakes.

And finally, I believe that the Owners realize that they can not back
down or else Falk wins.  They will cancel the season rather than let
Falk win.  And it will be interesting to see who will get Falk's clients
once they begin to leave him on January 8, 1999 when the league declares
an impasse and begins to sign players without a CBA.  Damn, this is
gonna be good.  I hope Falk gets dumped.  And Jordan will retire then.
He knows that his body will not be able to do it again after a year lay
off.

I don't think that Hunter is smart enough to get out of the box he is
in.  What do you guys think?
--
Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net