Re: FRANCHISE PLAYERS

At 08:11 AM 12/23/98 PST, "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The hard cap demand is dead.  Has been for months.

Dead for months? Hardly. However, also irrelevant. All I said was that the
term *came in* as part of the hard cap discussion. It's been batted around
for a while, just having a sudden resurgence in a new form.

<snip>
>I agree with whoever said the franchise player idea would lead to all
>the Pippens of the league jumping ship to be someone else's franchise
>player.

Even if it didn't, it's a pretty short sighted concept, put forward in its
current form basically to guarantee that there's at least one cash cow
client on each team for the agents. In football, it's also paired with
related hard cap designations (transition player) applied to other players
and appears to be understood even by the players as more of a cap mechanism
to keep one among various stars on the team rather than as an annointing of
'you da man' on one player. It does have some limiting effect on salary
escalation as used there, BTW, since it merely guarantees that a player has
to be among the top at his position in the league -market value rather than
setting a new market. But even in football there's been resentment over how
it's been applied, and that's likely to be even greater in hoops separate
from the differences in how they're now talking about the designation.

Happy holidays to all -I'm off

-Kim

>>From: Kim Malo <kmalo19@idt.net>
<snip>
>>The term franchise player only entered into things as part of the hard
>>cap talk, because franchise player designations are part of the structure
>>in the major sport that currently operates under a hard cap -football.
<snip>
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net