Peter Vecsey: 16 Days Till Doom

                                      [New York Post]
                                           SPORTS

                                       16 DAYS 'TIL DOOM

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    MAY I be among the first hundred thousand to notify
                    union boss Billy Hunter of the drop dead date he has
                    been begging NBA commissioner David Stern to
                    disclose. Either there's a Collective Bargaining
                    Agreement in place by Jan. 7 - when the Board of
                    Governors is scheduled to convene in New York two
                    weeks from today - or the league office will
                    recommend what remains of the 1989-99 season be
                    canceled.

                    At last, the pressure truly is on to reach a fair
                    settlement. For months many people on both sides of
                    the issues have maintained only a threatened deadline
                    would break the deadlock. Now we'll find out whether
                    it will serve a useful purpose, or merely go down in
                    league history as its defining day of infamy and
                    irrationality, a time for all professional sports to
                    study judiciously and do everything in their power to
                    avoid repeating.

                    I'd be a tad more optimistic than I am regarding
                    negotiations if I weren't so acquainted with the
                    assemblage. Think about this and weep: Here we have
                    one group who can't save themselves from themselves
                    asking the only other group on the planet who can't
                    save themselves from themselves to bail them out. *IN
                    case everyone wasn't clear on what it'll take to
                    satisfy the downtrodden owners, Stern put his
                    proposal to paper a week ago and mailed to every
                    player and media member before relocating to his
                    winter wonderland in Aspen, Col., for Christmas.

                    In order to make a deal, the league, in no uncertain
                    terms, must get a high-end limit on salaries and the
                    ability for teams to hold on indefinitely to their
                    rookies without getting killed financially, or
                    helplessly watch them defect.

                    "Our objective is not to wind up like baseball where
                    only eight-to-10 teams have any chance from the first
                    moment of spring training to compete for a
                    championship," Stern declares.

                    An amusing outlook, I submit, considering the Bulls
                    have devoured the competition in six of the last
                    eight seasons, and would be on an eight title roll
                    had not Michael Jordan vacated the premises for 11/3
                    quarter seasons.

                    The most important difference between the NBA and
                    Major League Baseball - something Hunter and his
                    bargaining committee either don't grasp or choose to
                    keep buried - is simply this:

                    The majority of NBA owners want to win in the worst
                    way, meaning they've overspent for talent in the past
                    and will continue to do so in the future no matter
                    what system is in place. In fact, you can be certain
                    they're already looking for loopholes to circumvent
                    the rules being discussed, all in the name of
                    fielding a champion.

                    Meanwhile, Hunter has procrastinated long and loud on
                    the side of protecting the high-end players whom, I
                    assume, bankrolled full page ads in Wednesday's
                    editions of USA Today and the Los Angeles Times
                    (roughly 100G a piece) in a pathetic plea for
                    sympathy from the fans.

                    Only recently did Hunter make an attempt to upgrade
                    the wages of the majority of players (middle and
                    minimum class) by offering to hard cap salaries of
                    players with zero-to-six years experience at $10
                    million and players with seven-to-nine at $15M.

                    Surely there's more compromise on the horizon (from
                    both parties) where that came from. Then again, some
                    of the issues aren't the big deal Hunter swears the
                    league is making out of them, while others, still,
                    already have been resolved. Hopefully Hunter plans to
                    inform his membership about them before the season is
                    canceled.

                    So much for leaders who practice such risky business.
                    This is what happens when David Falk, the agent of
                    mass destruction, is allowed to stack the negotiating
                    deck with his All-Star clients who've intimidated all
                    but a few union members from speaking out. EXCEPT for
                    an occasional outburst from the likes of perishable
                    Tim Legler, pillow head Karl Malone and Kevin Willis,
                    players have been forced to resort to anonymity if
                    they wanted to air their concerns and convictions.
                    Like the smart fax dropped on me yesterday by a
                    veteran starter. His thoughts (and responses by
                    league and team officials) are a must read for anyone
                    with any vested interest.

                    Dear Peter,

                    The problems I have with the NBA's proposal are not
                    big money issues, but more to do with personal
                    freedom for players, and flexibility for general
                    mangers. As I have told you all along, I totally
                    understand where the NBA is coming from economically.
                    I think players' expectations have gotten out of
                    control and the players should help owners control
                    their costs. But in return for that help, I think we
                    deserve more freedom and opportunity from the league.
                    Remember that giving them the high-end guys is a huge
                    concession and we deserve something significant in
                    return. Here's what would make it a good deal, in my
                    completely ignored, irrelevant opinion.

                    l. The league has proposed a maximum salary of 25
                    percent of the cap for a player in his first six
                    years in the league. But what if he's the best player
                    in the league (Tim Duncan?) in his third year? I say
                    make a player eligible for 30 or 35 percent of the
                    cap if he makes either the All-Star team or All-NBA
                    twice during those six years.

                    Answer: It's not a crazy idea. Maybe each team should
                    be permitted to designate a youngster as its
                    franchise player until he's not on the team. However,
                    an evenhanded system would need to be devised to
                    substitute that youngster with a 10-year vet. The
                    problem is, if you can't prove the cost is equal, the
                    owners are convinced they've done all they can do and
                    anything else would be too much.

                    2. Give us two exceptions to the cap (Maybe a $1M
                    exception to go along with an average salary
                    exception). Our main worry as a union (supposedly) is
                    the decline of the middle class. It's safe to assume
                    that most teams will eventually pay three players the
                    maximum salary. With only one exception to the cap
                    and a scaled rookie or two, most teams will still
                    have six or seven guys making minimum. I realize the
                    minimum will increase, but as a player it's important
                    have options and flexibility. It's also good for GMs
                    to have the ability to make moves. Fans want their
                    teams to be able to improve themselves during the
                    offseason and exceptions allow them to do that.

                    Answer: Giving the players another $1M exception that
                    capped teams could spend might not be that costly,
                    thus might not be that hard to agree on.

                    3. The minimums (especially 250G for first- and
                    second-year players) should be bumped a bit higher.
                    Not much, but there certainly shouldn't be a $450,000
                    difference between years 9 and 10. I also think
                    anyone who signs for the minimum should be able to
                    extend out to at least two, maybe three years. Again,
                    it would give players security and it would give GMs
                    something to work with. And it wouldn't cost that
                    much, either.

                    Answer: Again, it's not crazy. We now realize some
                    second-year players would have to take a pay cut and
                    that shouldn't happen.

                    4. The group licensing deal has to stay the same. We
                    have a deal through 2003 that guarantees the union a
                    minimum of $25M a year. The NBA, in light of recent
                    declines in revenue from licensed products, is
                    proposing that we no longer should be guaranteed the
                    money. In other words, it would only have to pay us
                    that much if revenues stayed at a certain level.
                    After getting screwed for so many years we finally
                    have a deal in place that really helps us (estimated
                    $40G per year). There's no reason to give it up.

                    Answer: This is a very big point for the league. Even
                    if we didn't have a lockout, sports licensing revenue
                    is off drastically. We're prepared to give the
                    players 50 percent of what's left after expenses, but
                    are not willing to give them their old guarantee. It
                    might be a separate deal from the collective
                    bargaining agreement, but dollars are dollars and
                    we're not going to give guarantees when we don't have
                    any.

                    5. Player opt-outs should not be eliminated, as the
                    league insists. If a player signs a multi-year deal
                    he should have every right to negotiate an opt-out
                    clause if he has the leverage. That is a personal
                    freedom that gives a player security on one hand, but
                    flexibility on the other. GMs can use it as an
                    enticement as well. It's an important issue for the
                    players, but not a huge expense for the owners.

                    Answer: This is something else we're adamant about.
                    This isn't about freedom it's about league rules. If
                    a player signs a 6-year deal, he's under contract for
                    six years. If he signs for two years, he's bound for
                    two years. Salaries already are stratospheric. We're
                    not going to have players opting out and going into
                    the next category before their time. When a contract
                    is signed both sides are obligated for the duration
                    or don't sign it.

                    6. Sign and trades should be allowed as well,
                    contrary to league demands. Last year Mark
                    Bartelstein convinced Pat Riley he needed Duane
                    Causewell (Who says Riley is a genius?) Miami was
                    over the cap. So Bartelstein convinced the Kings to
                    sign Causwell and trade him to Miami for a couple
                    guys whose salaries matched Causewell's. Sign and
                    trades are good for everyone - GMs (it allows them to
                    get rid of their mistakes), players and agents.

                    Answer: This is not a big issue. We've already told
                    them we can work this out to their satisfaction.

                    7. Finally, a player should retain his Bird rights if
                    he is traded. A player needs three years with the
                    same team to qualify for Bird, but the NBA is
                    proposing he lose those rights if traded. That's
                    unfair.

                    Answer: He's right. The union already has been
                    advised this is no longer an issue.

                    Don't forget that with an escrow system in place, the
                    NBA has the cost certainty it so desperately wants.
                    So adding any exceptions or provisions to the cap
                    that would help the players wouldn't hurt the owners
                    at all. Whether the owners spend 50,60 or 70 percent
                    of the revenue on salaries they will get back from
                    the players anything over the threshold, which is
                    still being negotiated. so why should the league care
                    if there is another exception in the deal?

                    But you know what I want most? I want to have my
                    hotel room paid for! NBA teams are only required to
                    pay for a double room for players. So if players want
                    their own rooms they have to pay the difference out
                    of their own pockets. It's about 5 or 6 thousand a
                    year. Something tells me that's the only thing Stern
                    is going to give in on!
                    <snip>