Steve Bulpett On Pervis' Latest Operation

                  Boston Herald
                  Mystery ends on Ellison woes
                  by Steve Bulpett

                  Thursday, December 17, 1998

                  A number of questions are answered now that it's been
                  learned Pervis Ellison had surgery last month to repair a
                  tendon in his right ankle.

                  The bad news - which has kept quiet during the NBA lockout
                  - comes complete with two silver linings. It solves the
                  physical issue and helps quiet the negative rumblings
                  among Ellison's Celtic bosses that he didn't respond
                  properly to rehab on the injury that occurred Jan. 7 in
                  Washington.

                  ``I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was more than
                  just a sprained ankle,'' Ellison said yesterday from his
                  home in suburban Washington. ``Nothing I did for it seemed
                  to help, so I finally went to see a doctor at Johns
                  Hopkins (University Hospital) and he found the torn
                  tendon. I had the surgery about four weeks ago.''

                  He said he will begin a heavier phase of rehabilitation
                  next week in hopes of being ready when, and if, the NBA
                  season begins.

                  While some in the Celtics front office cast a sideways
                  glance at Ellison's slow progress from the injury last
                  season, Ellison knew for certain he was in trouble when,
                  after a month of postseason rest, he faced further
                  problems at the club's mini-camp just before the draft. He
                  had missed 21 games after the incident in Washington, then
                  played sparingly in eight more before going on the injured
                  list March 13, missing the final 20 games.

                  ``No one wants to have to have surgery, but there's no
                  question it was a relief when they found the torn
                  tendon,'' Ellison said. ``I had tried so many things to
                  get it better before that and nothing happened. It was
                  getting worse and it kept swelling. At least now I know
                  what it is and I can work from this point.''

                  Beyond the games, Ellison's biggest loss last season was
                  the confidence of coach Rick Pitino, a quality that seemed
                  to erode as time went by. Now, with two years left on his
                  contract (he was scheduled to get $2.42 million this
                  season), Ellison is ready to regain the latter.

                  ``Before I got hurt, I think I was developing something
                  with coach,'' he said. ``I was starting some games and
                  really starting to contribute a lot to the team.''

                  Keying the comeback to Ellison's game was that he finally
                  understood and accepted that he was physically unable to
                  be the player people believed when he was selected No. 1
                  overall in the 1989 draft. Pitino complimented the fact
                  the 6-foot-10 forward-center was willing to play a role,
                  and the effect on the team was positive.

                  Ellison said yesterday he wants that back.

                  ``I'm in a situation now where I'm only at 31 years of
                  age,'' he said. ``I've still got a lot of basketball left
                  in me.''

                  In a larger sense, the years of fighting through injuries
                  and being defensive about the failure to live up to
                  expectations have crystalized his outlook on the game.

                  He realizes that players are in a no-win situation if they
                  take a position on the current labor impasse, but his
                  feelings are far simpler than the complex negotiations
                  anyway.

                  ``I think everyone just wants to be out there playing,''
                  Ellison said. ``That's really true for me. You look at the
                  older guys in the league and how much fun they have
                  playing. Look at Rick Mahorn. If you remember Rick's early
                  years in the league, he never smiled. Now all he does is
                  smile.

                  ``You get to the point where you realize that all you want
                  to do is be healthy enough to go out there and play the
                  game.''