Rich Hofmann: Stern Should Set Deadline

                                          December 15, 1998

                              Deadline The Season's Best Hope
                              Rich Hofmann - Philadelphia Inquirer

                         David Stern, the grand and masterful architect
                         of the NBA's current labor situation, has one
                         more move he absolutely, positively must make
                         if this thing is to be settled. He must set a
                         deadline.

                         He hasn't wanted to up until now. People have
                         asked him about a drop-dead date and he tells
                         them, politely, to drop dead. He was asked
                         last week about the perception that maybe
                         nobody would think the league was serious
                         about canceling the season until he set a
                         deadline, and he rejected the notion
                         completely.

                         "We don't want to lose the season, but the
                         season will run out and cancel itself," Stern
                         said. "That's been my position. So if somebody
                         says they don't think I want to cancel the
                         season, I certainly would hope that that's
                         true, and I plead guilty to that. That doesn't
                         mean that at a certain time when we look at
                         all the factors on an ongoing basis that the
                         season will cancel itself. That's just it."

                         Oh, OK. Meanwhile, the whole mess just
                         stagnates and stinks. Human nature being what
                         it is, neither side has made its last, best
                         offer yet. Only a deadline will provoke that.
                         The players haven't come close to recognizing
                         the possibility an entire season could be lost
                         -- with an unknown and unknowable future
                         beginning next year. Only a deadline will
                         force that realization. Commissioner?

                         "I just refuse to announce, prematurely, that
                         we're canceling the season," Stern said, two
                         weeks ago. "Let someone else in some other
                         sport do that. I'm not going to do it. I
                         reserve the prerogative for my 30 years in the
                         industry. The suggestion that we should set a
                         deadline of some day and then just blow the
                         season up is no suggestion that I'm buying
                         into -- never have and never will."

                         The problem is the alternative, this sliding
                         along into oblivion. Because that's what is
                         happening. A deadline is the only answer.

                         For precedent, we are left with only one
                         applicable situation: the 1994-95 lockout of
                         the NHL players by their owners. Baseball and
                         football labor catastrophes from the past
                         really don't fit into the box the NBA has
                         constructed here. The hockey situation does.
                         And how did that one settle? When commissioner
                         Gary Bettman finally set a deadline. It
                         happened in late December -- Dec. 29, to be
                         exact. Bettman had operated under the
                         assumptions that the league needed to play a
                         50-game season to be legitimate, that there
                         needed to be some kind of training period
                         before the games began, and that the playoffs
                         needed to be over by July 1. And so, he set
                         Jan. 16 as the deadline. He did it 2[Image]
                         weeks ahead of time, which gave everyone
                         involved an opportunity not only to recognize
                         the import of the thing, but also to come up
                         with some new proposals. The very act of
                         setting the deadline began the momentum toward
                         a settlement. It created the needed sense of
                         urgency.

                         Sports labor situations are funny that way. In
                         real life, in the real world of management and
                         labor, the strike deadline is the pressure
                         point. The strike deadline is the thing that
                         forces everyone involved to realize the
                         calamity ahead and the need to make their best
                         effort. In sports, it's different. In sports,
                         the strike deadline is viewed almost
                         universally as nothing more than the curtain
                         on the first act.

                         It's crazy, but that's where it is. The strike
                         deadline is viewed not as a deadline at all,
                         but as a signal to enter the bunker for the
                         long siege. Well, we are in the bunker now.
                         The only way to make everyone face the real
                         world calamity ahead is to get them out of the
                         bunker -- with a deadline.

                         Bettman got it right. Come out this week and
                         announce the deadline for coming to a new
                         agreement is, say, Jan. 6. Firm deadline; no
                         nonsense. The players could have their silly
                         exhibition games, the owners could call forth
                         all of their images of scorched earth and a
                         painful future, and we could get on with it.
                         Jan. 6. Period. With that, they could start
                         the season on Feb. 1. It could be a 48-game
                         season with playoffs that end around July 1.
                         There would be time.

                         Later than that?

                         "I don't think it makes any sense to us or to
                         [ NBC ] to put the Finals on into July," Stern
                         said. "Households using television drops so
                         dramatically as you approach July Fourth
                         weekend that I don't think that is a realistic
                         possibility."

                         OK. So that would be it. And if the two sides
                         managed to get close enough, there could be 24
                         or 36 hours of play in the deadline. There was
                         in the hockey deal, as it turned out.

                         The point is, a deadline will again inject a
                         crisis atmosphere. And if you find it
                         astounding the crisis atmosphere doesn't
                         already exist, well, welcome to the
                         never-never land of sports at the end of the
                         millennium. It doesn't exist. In the NBA right
                         now, around-the-clock bargaining refers only
                         to the minute hand.

                         Is there a risk? Sure. The risk is the season
                         actually might go down the drain. But what's
                         the alternative? It's drip-drip-dripping away
                         as it is, yet the players don't seem to
                         realize it.

                         So make them realize it. Set a deadline and
                         deal with the union. Then deal with the
                         consequences.

                              ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.