Re: Pay the Players!!!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Hurst <gh18@juno.com>
To: celtics@igtc.com <celtics@igtc.com>
Date: Sunday, December 13, 1998 4:25 AM
Subject: Pay the Players!!!!!!!

>I want to go on record as the first to say "I hope Stern agrees with the
>players so we can get this lockout over". I am tired of these owners
>thinking that they shouldn't have to pay the players there proper share
>of the revenue.

He amongst us doesn't think the NBA players should check out the contracts
of the upper echelon players which has been discussed at great length in the
past here.  I know Bentz will speak on this subject but there aren't many
businesses will to give the employees more than half of the revenue.

 Will there ever be a salary cap in baseball, golf,
>swimming, hockey, or polo?  No!
>
>Kevin Brown just got 15 million a year in a baseball deal and there isn't
>any complaining from the media. Why?  If Gretzky signed a huge hockey
>contract would anyone complain?  No!  However, when it is basketball,
>"they make too much money".  I can name others like Elway etc..  Pay the
>guys who do the work or let Stern and his big shots fire the players and
>get some more guys who will work for them.  But, I can guarantee the NBA
>want be Fantastic!
>

>Greg
>gh18@juno.com

Greg, I know you are frustrated like the rest of us but c'mon now.  Let
Stern fire the players?  Didn't you see what happened when that poor
millionaire tried to strangle his coach?  Do you want Stern to get his ass
sued off?  Can't see how that would help your cause.

I think the players should accept the offer which is on the table.  Is it
not a fair one?  Maybe not to Jordan.  Afterall he only made some 33 mill
last year.  The owners have made the past mistakes of the LJ contract and
the Garnett contract to players who have not deserved them based from their
level of play IMHO.  What should a player like Tim Duncan be making a few
years down the road if you were to use those previous contracts for a
comparison?

Cecil