Re: Charity begins at home

Specifically, what changes have the players agreed to that will reduce
salary growth?  The escrow system?  The luxury tax?  These are both
player proposals that the owners have agreed to try, provided there are
provisions for what happens if they don't work.  If the owners had the
hard cap they ask for, they would not need the escrow system.  So it is
not "at the same time" as you have suggested.  The whole reason for the
ridiculous escrow system being proposed is that the players will not
concede on the LBE and that means salaries will be unlimited.  The "hard
cap" the owners have asked for is not an absolute limit that a team can
spend but, rather, an absolute limit that league wide salaries can
reach.  Personally, I think all the proposals I've heard so far are far
too complicated to ever work well.

This business of hiding revenues is a red herring.  What constitutes
basketball related income was agreed in the last CBA and must now be
open to negotiation.  If the players really feel the books are cooked,
they've got plenty of lawyers and accountants to keep the owners honest.
This is nothing but PR.

It's pretty clear to me that the owners believe that salaries have been
growing faster than revenues for a long time and the time has come for
them to level off.  The players seem to believe that they can keep
getting a bigger and bigger slice of the pie, with no ill effects to the
league.  That is an absurd premise.

Jim