NBA article in the Observer -Reply

>>> "J. Mark Estepp" <esteppjm@conrad.appstate.edu> 12/11/98
11:23am >>>I believe what they fail to realize is that most "real"  fans are
not fans of players,  but of teams.  I'm not the least bit interested in
watching Mercer, or Walker, or any of them, compete for a championship
with some other team or some other league. <<<<

      Well said!  In fact, I didn't even like Pitino or Antoine because I hate
Kentucky, but all is forgotten (at least temporarily) now that they are part
of the Celtic fold.  But put Antoine on a different team, and I'd go back to
hating him.

Some follow teams, others follow players.  Sometimes the noon pickup
game I play in is moved to a location where lots of younger folks play.  I
have noticed that I see few folks wearing team jerseys (pro teams), but
lots wearing individual player jerseys.  <<<<

      A lot of this can be attributed to the marketing strategy chosen by the
NBA.  Stern realized early on that (the accursed) Michael Jordan was a
spectacular talent, and decided to capitalize on his exciting style and
picturesque athletic displays of aerial brilliance by making him the poster
boy for post-1980s hoop.

      What the masses failed to realize is that behind the dunks was a
player with a cerebral floor game and a superlative grasp of the
fundamentals.  Contrast this with the style displayed by the players that
are most popular for their individual jerseys, as noted by J. Mark Esteep.
Allen Iverson hasn't met a shot that he doesn't like and can't pass to save
his life.  Jerry Stackhouse?  Please!  Shaq still can't make free throws
after being in the league for five years, and Miami Heat captain Alonzo
Mourning cost his team the playoff series with the Knicks by being a
hothead.

     Young, fundamentally sound players--like Grant Hill, Tim Duncan, and
to a lesser extent, Ron Mercer--are few and far between these days.
This problem is exacerbated by players leaving school early;
fundamentals are lacking to begin with (in general)...what happens when
the seasoning / experiential learning is cut short because players apply
for hardship draft status or, worse yet, skip college altogether in favor of
the NBA?

      Thus, the problem is directly attributable to the NBA-braintrust
themselves.  They wanted flashy play and dunks--well, they got it, but at
the expense of quality team play.  It's no surprise that the elite teams in
the league (Chicago, Utah, Seattle) play the best team basketball.

      Look at the Lakers--there's no doubt that they have much more
individual talent than Chicago.  But I believe that the (accursed) Bulls
would beat them in a playoff series every time.  With the exception of
Eddie Jones and Rick Fox (both of whom played for college coaches
who stressed hard work, defense, and fundamental play), the Lakers
are a bunch of funboating gunners.

      Incidentally, I'm only 27 years old, so I'm not bringing these criticisms
from the perspective of an old-school fan who laments today's player.
However, I do have an appreciation for both the way the game should be
played and the rich history of the National Basketball Association.  It's a
shame to see the whole thing go down the tubes.

Ryan