Re: Sam Smith: Sprewell's Attack=Root of NBA Strife

Without getting into any of this, I think Smith's column rings very
true.  I notice, though, that this thread discusses whether the story
is racist or not without discussing whether it is true.  It sure
sounds true to me.  That I happen to agree with the owners has little
to do with Smith's accuracy.

---Sherry & Hart <hartleyo@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> j.hironaka@unesco.org wrote:
> >
> > In fairness, I think the reason Sam Smith's article is so
nauseating can
> > be attributed to his lack of aptitude or training to think
logically,
> > rather than any uglier motive.
> >
> > To blithely link the NBA lockout to Latrell Sprewell (e.g.. "it
became
> > as clear as the scratch marks on Carlesimo's throat that the NBA was
> > being strangled by greed, selfishness and a lack of ethics and
> > morality.")  without offering any shred of evidence or a single
measly
> > quote from an owner is IMO the crudest form of uppity-"n"-word,
> > race-baiting.  It's akin to the fabulously successful strategy of
James
> > Baker (George Bush's 1988 presidential campaign manager) to link
Michael
> > Dukakis with Willie Horton (a black man who was "furlowed" from a
> > Massachusetts jail and subsequently raped a white girl).
> The fact is that this story was originally used by that great
> environmentalist Veep Al Gore  when he was running for the nomination
> against the Duke and was subsequently used by the Bush campaign. It
> probably wasn't politically correct(can't you just puke) by Baker &
Bush
> but they're not stupid.
> >
> > I'm not necessarily on the players side any longer, and  I certainly
> > don't mind if they lose the billion+ dollar wages they were
contracted
> > to earn this year by their dumb-ass owners. Unless some of these NBA
> > players grow up and clearly suffer a little (lost wages) and gain
> > perspective, they will never win back the full sympathy of fans
(who,
> > after all, have historically been working class white men and
women).
> Why must everything, always be Black & White, whoever likes to see
games
> and/or can afford to go, are the Fans they have to win back, both
black
> and white.
> >
> > But to even implicitly hint that the
"Modern-Day-Basketball-Pro=Latrell
> > Sprewell" suggests to me questionable logic and motives. I wish to
> > goodness that the Sprewell incident had never freaking happened.
It's