Profile of Charles Oakley

          December 3, 1998

          Oakley Can't Shake the Hard Knocks, or Ewing

          By HARVEY ARATON

              he man who has watched Patrick Ewing's back for the
              better part of a basketball decade anxiously awaits
          a bit of news, a ray of hope, on the prospect of
          salvaging a season and what was supposed to be the
          biggest pay day of a long and dedicated career. Charles
          Oakley will not be calling his former Knicks teammate
          for an update from Wednesday's renewed National
          Basketball Association labor talks in Manhattan,
          though.

          Ewing is a superstar, and Oakley is not. And the union
          president would not want to hear what Oakley might say.

          "I talk to Herb Williams," Oakley said by telephone
          from his mother's home in Cleveland. "Herb keeps me
          informed."

          The information to this point has all been bad going on
          worse, a season teetering on the edge, with the
          potential washout of a $10 million thank you from the
          Knicks to the sturdy power forward they unceremoniously
          traded to Toronto last spring.

          As if that weren't enough of a kick, Oakley now waits
          from afar -- helplessly, as far as he is concerned --
          as Ewing, of all people, leads the superstar-driven
          hard-line faction in the players' risky game of
          high-stakes poker with the N.B.A. commissioner, David
          Stern.

          "I can't make nothing happen," Oakley said, with
          resignation. "And when you're out in the middle of the
          ocean, you don't jump in the water. But I always see
          where they put the microphones when they come out of
          these meetings, only with the franchise players. They
          don't let the little man speak. They out to put the
          microphones next to the guy who's making $350,000."

          This was the classic, none-too-cryptic Oakley, drawing
          straight lines and letting everyone read between them.

          The fate of the season and his once-in-a-lifetime
          reward, he was clearly saying, is in the hands of the
          autocratic few, who just happen to be the clients of
          the leveraged agent, David Falk. Oakley was saying,
          then, that this union is not unlike your basic,
          locked-out N.B.A. team. Superstars rule.

          For much of his 10 seasons in New York, intramural
          issues similar to these -- mostly, the preferential
          treatment for Ewing -- gnawed at Oakley, invariably
          made him mumble and moan. He was sensitive, almost to a
          fault, but he would ultimately rejoin the cause. He
          played fiercely for his team, did all the interior
          dirty work, and then some.

          More than Ewing, the centerpiece, Oakley was called the
          heart of the Knicks.

          "I always did whatever they asked," he said. "Play
          hurt, play center. I never told them no."

          Four years ago, the Knicks tacked the $10 million
          balloon payment on the end of a contract that last
          season paid him $2.85 million.

          Had Toronto played at Charlotte Wednesday night, as
          originally scheduled, Oakley would have earned roughly
          $122,000. He will be a free agent after this season,
          but he will turn 35 in two weeks. He plays now on
          battered legs, on gnarled toes. He knows that even as a
          free agent, he will not see this kind of contract
          again.

          Everyone is losing money, he realizes, but his
          situation is especially painful. Ewing made big money
          last year, and will make big money next year. For
          Oakley, each passing day, each game lost, is like
          running himself through one of the car washes he owns.
          He is being hosed.

          "What can you do?" he said. "I try to get up in the
          morning every day, and make the best of it. You try to
          not miss what you never had. I've never blown a lot of
          money. And what can I complain about when there's guys
          struggling to make 10 to 12 thousand a year? The people
          you feel sorry for in this are the ones who are losing
          money parking cars and waiting tables in restaurants
          where people eat when we play the games."

          Obviously, in that context, Oakley as a millionaire,
          needs no one's pity. That doesn't mean, in an N.B.A.
          context, his story isn't one of the sad ironies of the
          lockout.

          "Who can I hold a grudge against?" he said.

          Oakley knows he can't blame Ewing, who has done nothing
          personal to him. He could blame fate, which has never
          treated him too well.

          "I was traded from Chicago, right before they started
          winning championships," he said, recalling the 1988
          deal which sent him to the Knicks for Bill Cartwright.
          Had the Bulls given the Knicks Horace Grant, no doubt
          Oakley would have won a few rings as the enforcer for
          Michael Jordan, as opposed to Ewing.

          The Knicks' trading of Oakley for Marcus Camby just
          before the lockout began last summer was, to Oakley,
          the final cold slap in the face. After all he had meant
          to the Ewing era, after all the million spent to
          upgrade the roster with veteran talent, they just
          decided to slog on without him, in their unlikely
          pursuit of a title.

          The trade, which he said he learned of after its
          completion, underscored the feelings he has about what
          kind of league the N.B.A. has become.

          "That's why we're in this situation, 'cause you have
          all these so-called franchise players who aren't
          leaders, who don't make anyone better and don't even
          make the playoffs," Oakley said. "This league has
          become all about fake superstars, about hype."

          Not about heart, not about soul. So the man who
          provided s much of that for the Knicks for a decade
          waits for the break of his professional life. He waits
          for good news from Williams in New York. Then maybe the
          season will start. Then maybe Toronto, which doesn't an
          aging enforcer, will trade him to the Los Angeles
          Lakers, who do, and he will win his championship ring
          before Ewing.

          It is a delightful thought, a fantasy to hang on to, as
          Charles Oakley loses $122,000 a game.

                Copyright 1998 The New York Times Company