Peter Vecsey Comments On Lockout, Also Antoine

                               [New York Post]
                                   SPORTS

                        NBA SIDES MUST GO 1-ON-1 WITH ISSUES

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    AS David Stern, Billy Hunter and their
                    respective allies convene for what could
                    amount to their next to last window of
                    opportunity to jump start the 1998-99
                    season, take it from the cock-eyed optimist
                    who has repeatedly predicted a settlement
                    was right around Shawn Bradley:

                    If nothing else, both parties finally have
                    recognized their adversaries are, indeed,
                    unified. The 29 owners are determined to
                    cancel the season if unable to secure a
                    more favorable collective bargaining
                    agreement, whereas the players are resolved
                    to sacrifice their whole salary rather than
                    take a giant step backward in a couple
                    particular directions.

                    Clearly, both sides mean bad business.
                    Clearly, they're immovably committed to
                    outlandish causes that are disenfranchising
                    fans at an alarming rate. Clearly it's time
                    for a head-on crash between rhetoric and
                    reality.

                    At the risk of being signaled for
                    interference, it might be wise to stop
                    demanding shamefully more than a fair share
                    and start listening to reason. If the idea
                    is to make a deal, both sides can only
                    avoid dealing with the issues for so long.
                    Clearly it's time to confront them, no
                    matter how insurmountable they may seem,
                    and find a solution no matter how
                    repugnant.

                    To quote John Stockton before he was
                    shouted down during the players' meeting in
                    Las Vegas, "Talking is not a sign of
                    weakness, it's a sign of intelligence."

                    If the commissioner and the executive
                    director of the union want my opinion, they
                    should adopt the same attitude as Cavalier
                    power philosopher Shawn Kemp. Here's a guy
                    who doesn't look at the glass as being half
                    full or half empty. As long as there's
                    something in it, hey, he's happy.

                    Thankfully, Darwin isn't around to witness
                    his theory of evolution backfiring. *THE
                    most arrogant and ignorant boast of the
                    lockout belongs to players, reveling in
                    their solidarity despite missed paychecks.
                    "The quality that keeps us strong is the
                    same one that makes us such tough
                    competitors," they gloat.

                    No question. At the same time. how do the
                    players think the owners got to where they
                    are today, by being meek and mild? How do
                    they think the owners stay at that astral
                    plateau, by being patsies? How many of the
                    owners, do they figure, inherited their
                    wealth and status from Daddy?

                    Off the top of my head, I can only name
                    four, Paul Gaston of the Celtics, Mickey
                    Arison of the Heat, H. Ross Perot, Jr., and
                    the Maloof brothers, who purchased a big
                    chunk of the Kings last season and will
                    dominate it within a year.

                    All the rest are self-made
                    multi-millionaires and billionaires,
                    attaining their fortune thanks to an
                    unnatural measure of savvy, skill and
                    street-fighting instincts. Either they own
                    their teams outright, operate it at the top
                    of the publicly-held companies, or
                    designate someone else to do it.

                    Think Jerry Colangelo, Jerry Reinsdorf, Ted
                    Turner, Jerry Buss, Paul Allen, Charles
                    Dolan, Bill Davidson, Larry Miller, Herb
                    Kohl, Rich DeVos, Ed Snider, Herb and
                    Melvin Simon, Glen Taylor, Gordon and
                    George Gund, Donald Sterling, Ray Chambers,
                    Peter Holt, Jim Thomas, Barry Ackerley,
                    Allan Slaight, Les Alexander and Chris
                    Cohan and the bunch of rich guys in
                    Vancouver might know something about the
                    spirit of the bayonet fighter themselves?

                    Nobody ever said you can play (much less
                    star) in the NBA or in any any professional
                    league without brandishing a serrated edge.
                    Then again, to remain at the top of your
                    game, we're taught early and often, it's
                    usually a mortal mistake to underestimate
                    the competition. *O.J. SIMPSON thinks the
                    Chris Webber verdict is a mockery of
                    justice. Who was the foreman of that jury,
                    Marion Barry? Now I know what D.C. stands
                    for - Doesn't Convict. Not that Webber
                    didn't use at least one or two compelling
                    arguments. Initially, he threw himself on
                    the mercy of the court, whimpering, "Come
                    on, cut me a break, I got no job." Webber's
                    winning defense: I actually was driving
                    Kenny Anderson's car.

                    Former St. John's center Zendon Hamilton
                    signed with Valladolid of Spain a couple of
                    days ago ... When the lockout finally ends,
                    Shaquille O'Neal plans to capitalize on it
                    by making into a bad rap video ... We've
                    missed a month of the season and the
                    Clippers are 2-10. At least they have an
                    excuse. They still don't have a coach.

                    Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller have all but
                    three Pacers practicing again after the
                    co-captains gave the team off Thanksgiving
                    week. "That proves you guys aren't as
                    serious as you make out," I scolded. "Your
                    coach never would have done that."

                    "You're wrong," Jackson squawked. "Our
                    coach would've done that."

                    Come a settlement, think John Calipari
                    would like to have an extra five million to
                    spend on a free agent? Had the Nets' boss
                    traded Kendall Gill for Christian Laettner
                    on trading deadline as he almost did (going
                    so far as to tell Gill the deal was done;
                    he went berserk on the coach when Calipari
                    changed his mind), he'd have the option of
                    re-signing the injured (torn Achilles) free
                    agent forward or investing elsewhere.
                    Sources say Blazers would love to have Sam
                    Cassell or Kerry Kittles, even Gill should
                    the other two be unavailable. Of course, an
                    offer of the re-signed Damon Stoudamire for
                    Cassell and Gill might get the Nets
                    attention. It nearly happened when
                    Stoudamire was a Raptor.

                    In an effort to cut back on his spending,
                    Kenny Anderson is thinking of giving up
                    Moet ... Depending on the free-agent rule
                    changes, the Celtics have reserved the
                    right to back off their notion to trade
                    Antoine Walker.

                    Dennis Rodman had to be juiced to marry
                    Carmen Electra. I've never understood what
                    he sees in her, except maybe a physical
                    attraction for someone who has fewer
                    original body parts than him. Fortunately
                    for Dennis, he wasn't completely drunk
                    because he made Carmen sign a pre-nipple
                    agreement. Before the annulment, I'd
                    planned to send a wedding gift. I looked up
                    where the bride had registered:
                    Dow-Corning.

                    Obviously, Michael Jordan is going to get
                    the abbreviated schedule he wanted in order
                    to return. Now he's holding out for a
                    one-year CBA.