Geiger Article

INSIDE THE NBA

The Off Center

by Jackie MacMullan

 Scores of college players worked as counselors at Red Auerbach's summer
camp in 1991, but Georgia Tech center Matt Geiger clearly stood out. He was
the only one who was accompanied to the gym every day by his personal
trainer—and his mother. "He was a flake," recalls Chris Ford, who was then
coach of the Celtics. "A good-hearted kid, but way out there. I never
thought he'd have an NBA career. He didn't show anything on the court."
These days Ford coaches the Bucks, and he admits he needs someone just like
the 7-foot, 245-pound Geiger, who in his sixth NBA season, has carved out a
niche as an able—if slightly off-center—center. He runs the floor, rebounds
in traffic and is capable of clamping down on some of the league's top big
men. Not bad credentials to have in a free-agency year.

Along with Mason, Geiger (right) helped the Hornets snatch 10 straight
victories.    (Rocky Widner)

Geiger, 28, was a key to Charlotte's recent winning streak, which reached a
franchise record 10 games before an 83-80 loss to Washington last Saturday.
Since starting in place of Vlade Divac, who had surgery to repair cartilage
in his left knee on Jan. 20, Geiger through week's end had averaged 14.9
points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks while shooting 53.0% from the floor.
Although he's rarely the first or second offensive option for the Hornets,
he has a knack for getting open for the dish when Charlotte's guards
penetrate. "He's one of those guys who is always around the basket," says
his coach, Dave Cowens.

The Hornets played so well with Geiger in the lineup that he remained there
after Divac returned to action on Feb. 28. Geiger's success hardly squares
with the image of the gawky college senior who underwhelmed the Celtics
seven years ago. "I wasn't very aggressive, but I'm just the opposite now,"
says Geiger, whom Charlotte acquired from the Heat in the November 1995 deal
that sent Alonzo Mourning to Miami. "I got to the point where I realized if
I wanted to play professional basketball, it couldn't be for the fun of it.
It had to be my job."

He gets support, in abundance, from his parents, Kay and Richard, who live
in Clearwater, Fla., but frequently travel the country trailing the Hornets.
The Charlotte players have dubbed the elder Geigers their official team
chaperones. Kay gives them postgame hugs, while Richard joins them in the
hotel bar for a brew or two. It perplexes Matt that people find his folks'
devotion unusual. "My family is part of me," he says.

In 1992, when Matt's twin brother, Mark, lost his hair while undergoing
chemotherapy to treat Hodgkin's disease, Matt shaved his head as a show of
solidarity. Mark has been in remission for five years, but Matt keeps his
pate bald as a tribute to his brother, whose illness has persuaded him to
make the most of life. He had the words carpe diem tattooed on his ankle in
'93 and has seized each game since with a sense of urgency.

Yet Geiger is hardly the sole reason Charlotte, which through Sunday's games
was 40-24 and ranked fourth in the Eastern Conference, is flourishing.
Sweet-shooting guard Dell Curry, who missed 29 games with a strained calf,
is healthy again, and the backcourt of David Wesley and Bobby Phills, who
both came to the Hornets as free agents this season, has finally gelled
since Phills' return from a groin injury on Feb. 20. "He plays both ends of
the floor so hard," says general manager Bob Bass of Phills, who was
sidelined for 14 games. "He really slows down two guards."

All-Star Glen Rice remains one of the league's most lethal shooters, and
when Anthony Mason sticks to his gritty low-post game instead of grumbling
about his shots or minutes, he's invaluable. "Early in the season Mase would
get the rebound and then dribble down himself," says Wesley. "Now he's
throwing a great outlet pass. He's listening to the play calls. That gets
everyone involved."

Divac, like Geiger, will be a free agent this summer, and each will look for
a monster deal. (Does Bryant Reeves and $11 million a year ring a bell?)
While Bass hopes to re-sign both his big men, it's unlikely he will. Asked
to choose between them, Cowens wrestles aloud with the decision. He loves
Divac's soft hands, deft passing and experience. He loves Geiger's
physicality, rambunctiousness and live legs.

Best for Cowens not to divulge his preference. No need to risk upsetting the
team chaperones, especially if the rumor's true that Kay is baking cookies
for the next road trip.

Issue date: March 23, 1998

   OTHER NOTES

The Off Center