Re: Players withdraw complaint

At 10:03 PM 8/13/98 -0400, Bentz wrote:
>In a strange move, the players withdrew their complaint before the NLRB
>today.  I wonder what is up with that.  The ESPN url is:
>
>http://espnet.sportszone.com/nba/news/980813/00802983.html

Take your pick of cynical answers. They care more about the suit involving
money and prefer to put their resources there. They realized that public
statements made by player reps prior to the lockout about things like
refusing to even entertain any discussion of things like the Bird Exemption
weakened their case -may not have actually negotiated to an impasse, but
that represents a de facto one. Or go with the optomistic one that it's a
peace offering (although perhaps still a calculated one, because of the
weakness of the case) to try to get things actually going. Mildly amusing in
the light of the owner/league side walkout from the last meeting because of
'lecturing' by the players' lawyers about how the legal cases were going to go.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net