Re: Right of First Refusal

If you are wondering what the right of first refusal is, it is very similar to
what Serge (sp?) Federov was with the Detroit Red Wings this past year.  Other
teams were allowed to make offers, but Detroit was allowed to match anything
that Federov accepted from the other teams, thus having the right to resign
him at his "true" market value.  (The "true" market value thing is really a myth, but it is a nice idea).   I think this would be good, but I think rookie deals
should be four years with the right of first refusal.  This would be best for
the player and the team.  It would allow the player to develop for four years,
thus building his market value, and it would allow a team a full four years to
evaluate a player.

Shawn

Originally from Josh Ozersky: