Article On Chris Webber

Webber is mum on trade: New King will talk upon arrival</H2>
By Martin McNeal
Bee Staff Writer
Published Aug. 3, 1998

  Chris Webber didn't want to talk Sunday about the life-altering and surprising mid-May trade from the Washington Wizards to the Kings or the troubles he experienced last season.<P>

  For the record, Webber gave no indication that he would fail to report for training camp. At that time, he says, he will answer the questions many in Sacramento seem to have.<P>

  The soft-spoken, articulate Webber spoke calmly and thoughtfully in his first public comment since the deal that sent All-Star guard Mitch Richmond and power forward Otis Thorpe to Washington for the 25-year-old.

  "It's not because of the people in Sacramento," Webber said about his hesitance to speak about the trade before lining up with a number of NBA stars to participate in the 13th annual "A Midsummer night's Magic" game at the Forum.

  "It's just personal, right now. It's something that I've pretty much reserved to not talking about right now. I just want to spend the summer working on my game and spending it with my family. When it comes time to address it, I will. But right now, it's the summertime."

  Webber, who along with the other NBA players were able to participate in the contest despite the lockout because it had gained sanction by the league, said there was nothing mystical about his decision to remain mum on the trade.<P>

  "It's the summer. There is a lockout. There is nothing really to say. I'm not trying to make it baffling or confusing. It's time to do and show."<P>

  As fellow Detroit native and former University of Michigan teammate Jalen Rose said, "You're on the record for nine months. The summer is time to chill."<P>

  Webber said reports regarding his dislike for the city of Sacramento are untrue.<P>

  "I know nothing about it," he said of the city. "But it's not like I hate the city, as I've heard said. I don't make judgments on hearsay. I'll do my own research and make my own conclusions."<P>

  There was no bitterness in Webber's voice when he spoke about the words and feelings attributed to him since the trade. Yet, he was incredulous.<P>

  "People are going to say what they want, but assumptions are not fact," he said. "I guess people are going to assume what they want, if you don't know me, how can you make assumptions about me?<P>

  "You don't know if I talk a lot or if I don't talk. If I'm introspective or retrospective. If I like to think or don't like to think. It doesn't make sense to me for people to say, 'Well, he doesn't like this or he wants to do this.'<P>

  "I've not said one thing to anybody. And anybody who says that I've said anything about the trade or that I feel one way or another is lying.<P>

  "Nobody knows how I feel, except me."

  He can hide his feelings, but the abundance of talent he carries around on his, 6-foot-10, 255-pound frame cannot be masked.<P>

  Sunday night's action, pitting a veteran all-star team against a rookie squad was turnover-laden and replete with crazy shots and amazing pass attempts.<P>

  Webber scored 21 points on an assortment of dunks as well as a three-point shot he said he had been working on this summer.<P>

  "I take my game very seriously," he said. "I always try to fill whatever holes I have in my game. Whatever it is statistically that says I'm not doing well, then I'm working on that."<BR>