Re: Game Memories...

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Jim Meninno wrote:

> Can anyone clear something up for me?  I was at a regular season game in
> the late 80's.  Bird was fouled hard going for a layup.  My recollection
> is that he was hit in the face and broke a bone.  He came out in the
> second half and lit the place up.  In the post-game interview he said he
> was seeing two baskets and he just shot between them.  I don't know if
> I'm confusing this with the Pacer's playoff game when he hit the floor.
> The game I'm talking about was a regular season game in Boston.

March 6, 1988, against the Cleveland "Cadavers".  It was the *one* game I
made it to during the glory days.  The ticket was from my uncle who lived
in the Boston area.

Bird got whacked in the head and fractured his eyesocket.  With
the exception of Bird's injury, that was a great game.  The Celtics
stomped all over Cleveland, and there were a lot of interesting moments -
Dirk Minnifield actually dunked, Brad Lohaus made a three-pointer, Bird
and Ainge hit three-pointers, someone (Paxson?) made a half-court buzzer
beater, Bird wound up with something like thirty points - if you could
only see one game, this was a good one.

After suffering the injury, Bird wore goggles for the next six games.  He
hated 'em, but he shot really well when he was wearing them.

Dan