Re: Antoine

At 12:22 PM 4/26/98 -0700, Mishra wrote:

> [...]

This really isn't Kim pick on Mishra day, although I suppose it's going to
sound like it.
I really don't see where you get off with that last statement. The Walker
that Pitino was handed this year was not the Walker he last coached. There
was a year of ML's TLC in between that set his development as a pro and
player backwards and did even more harm to his attitude/maturity. No one
with any sense can deny his talent, but anyone who says they are sure about
how fully he will fill the potential he has is dreaming And that probably
includes Walker himself. And the immaturity he has shown not only holds his
own development back, but has hurt his team too. Yes, I know what his stats
were, and they were impressive. But some of them were really ugly too, like
shots missed. Put them in context, such as the number of times Walker never
even looked to pass and forced a bad shot when someone like Mercer was open
and screaming for the ball, and they look even uglier. And are a good part
of why there are questions about signing him, when something like his 20/10
status should make it a no brainer. Are the ugly stats and habits
correctible? Of course. Can you guarantee that Walker WILL correct them? I'd
love to hear how, based on what Gaston, Pitino, and the rest of us have
watched from him this year. Ans if he doesn't correct them, then he's not
worth the money, because he will continue to post gaudy stats and his team
will continue to lose. It's a judgement call I'm glad I don't have to make.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net