show 'Toine the money

>P.S.  I'm game if someone wants to start a "Show 'Toine the Money vs.
>Wait 'til Next Year" poll. I think everyone on the list should
>participate.

For the moment, let's assume for the sake of argument that nothing
earth-shaking will change over the summer. I actually think the potential
lockout could change a great deal - but since we have no idea exactly what,
then let's just leave it aside.

I say we sign Antoine this summer. Reasons?

1. Salaries are going to keep going up (unless, like I said, the owners
work out some kind of cap with the players). All you have to do is look
back at how much they've gone up in the past decade. I remember in 1987
reading that "Larry Bird is making $1.7 million a year and is underpaid".
What would $1.7 million get us these days? I think we should sign AW now
before his market value gets even higher. If he's worth Garnett money this
year, what'll he be worth next summer after he scores 24 ppg, grabs 11 rpg,
improves his shooting percentages, and leads the Celtics into the playoffs?

2. There has been a lot of talk on this list about AW's attitude and other
weaknesses. Let's say for the sake of argument that he becomes a player
that the Celtics don't want in their future (and I don't know why that
would happen). Then we will certainly be able to trade him for other
high-quality players. It's not like we'll sign him this summer and all his
skills will go to pot - he's proven he has what it takes. Better to sign
him and trade him away later than to let him get away as a free agent.

3. Right now he's the cornerstone of the franchise. Without him, the
Celtics go back to being pretty dismal. With him, we're looking good for
making the playoffs next year, and taking another step back to credability.
With him (and the winning record he'll help us get next year), we may be
able able to attract some decent interest from free agents. Without
him...who knows? He's not perfect, but we're a far better team with him
than without him.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Pete