1998-1999 Boston Celtics....

Now that the season is over I thought I would take a look at the current
roster and think about what I would like to see happen.  I started with
Jason Drisco's list of salaries to try to see who was worth keeping.  I
feel that we have two starting positions to fill, Center and PF.

PLAYER	            SALARY	   YRS REMAINING
---------------- Solid Starters
Kenny Anderson	$5,010,000	   5 years
Ron Mercer 		$1,768,320	   2 years

Antoine Walker 		$1,864,080	   1 year
Start PF

Start C
--------------- Good Backup or Stuck with Contract
Dana Barros 		$3,400,000	   3 years
Greg Minor 		$2,160,000	   4 years

Walter McCarty 		  $862,560	   1 years
Bruce Bowen 		  $422,500	   1 year
Popeye Jones		$1,886,538	   free agent

Andrew DeClercq 	$1,200,000	   4 years
Zan Tabak		  $950,000	   free agent
Pervis Ellison 		$2,090,000	   2 years
Travis Knight 		$2,000,000	   6 years
----------------------- Lose them now
Dontae' Jones 		  $794,880	   1 years
Tyus Edney 		  $400,000	   free agent  (I like him, but
too small with Dana)

We might be able to turn Popeye or Drew into a starting PF (a la
Oakley/Rodman).  Antoine would move over to PF when Bowen or Walter came
in.  I've heard a lot about Popeye's rebounding, does anyone know what
he's like as a defender?  If we deal for a forward (either spot) I think
Walter will be gone (sorry Tommy).

Obviously, center is the big problem.  We need another one, but how will
we get rid of Ellison?  Knight needs big time improvement.  He is a
waste if he can only play PF.  Having said that I think someone will
take him (plus our #1 pick).  Looks to me like we sign Geiger and keep
Drew (he really looks like a bargain) and one other (Knight, Tabak).  If
Pervis won't retire, we're stuck with him too.

I like the four guards, if everyone stays healthy.  The big problem is
that neither Mercer nor Minor could play the point even in a dire
emergency.  Who does that leave as the backup if one of them goes down,
Bruce Bowen?  I still don't think we can carry 3 tiny guards, though.
Maybe we should try to get a versatile guard with Knight + #1.  Think
Toronto would part with Dee Brown?

Jim