Patrick Goggin wrote:

>         I Loved Mike's post on Don Chaney and I would have to add Cornbread
> as my nomination for best unsung hero (although it may actually understate
> his contributions to include him in this list).  However, I'm a little
> young for this, but I thought Dave Cowens also bridged the Russell-Bird
> gap.  Could someone affrim or deny this for my own education?

Cowens almost did it--his last year with Boston was Bird's rookie
season, but there was a two-season gap between Russ and Dave.  Hank
Finkel, a 7-foot lefty who could shoot but didn't have starting-center
talent, did his best to fill in.  However, the Celts missed the playoffs
both those years, and that's how they got the No. 4 pick to use on
Cowens.
--
Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI