Re: Walker should just leave. -Reply

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Michael  J.  King  Sr. wrote:

> I was trying to avoid this debate as it is a loser from either side.

Agreed.  I remember Mark Estepp (I think it was him - apologies if I'm
mistaken) being an early Antoine-dissenter and suggesting that maybe some
of his antics were not positive signs and should be regarded as warnings.
He was roasted by several members of the list, although to his credit he
politely responded to each one in a rational manner.

It's spitting in the wind - the Celtics are on the up-and-up, and no one
wants to hear the emperor has no clothes.  If Antoine signs a bajillion
dollar contract and then his game goes into the toliet, these same people
will be calling the Celtics front office personell fools for
having bloated the Celtics salary cap for years to come.

> admit to getting a smile on my face when Toine makes a great move/shot
> then proceeds to wiggle!

I'm with you right up to the wiggle.  Still, I can live with that if its
done in the right context.  After 'Toine hit the game winner against
Washington, I was as happy as anybody - he ran down the court in
jubulation and was mobbed by his teammates.  I imagine every Celtic and
fan wanted to freeze frame that moment and keep it forever.  On the other
side of the coin, I winced when he jumped on the scorers table in the win
over Portland.  Quite frankly, he looked like an idiot celebrating a game
the Celtics should have lost.

I'm not quite sure how Celtics tradition fits in it all.  I mean, Bird and
McHale were complete jerks to the opposition, but they could back it up.
I'd give Antoine a lot more leeway if the Celtics were backing it up on
the floor.  But when he tells Tim Hardaway he's kicking Eric Strickland's
butt when the C's are down by twenty... well that suggests to me he just
doesn't get it.

> but I won't hold my breath in substantive changes. Hell we will probably
> have to endure a mascot and dance line before all is said and done.I

God, please, no.

Dan