Re: May article

krai@gis.net wrote:

> A sober article by Peter May on the Walker situation:
>
> http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/104/No_need_to_hurry_on_Walker_contra
> ct.htm
>
> K. Kveraga

I read this article, and to say it is ludicrous would be charitable.
For Peter May, the glass is not just half empty, it's completely empty.
He's no longer capable of being objective about the Celtics:

"Walker...certainly didn't win any friends last week in Detroit with his
boorish, chest-thumping, take-that postgame strut after Boston's
come-from-behind victory. Pitino, who has insisted that his players act
like adults, chalked it up to youthful exuberance. What he should have
done was sat Walker down for a game as a reminder that there are certain
behavioral limits on the Celtics - and one of those is acting like an
adult. Especially if you are seen as the key to the organization."

Yes, I'm very concerned that Walker has offended the fans who idolized
Bill Laimbeer.  To suggest that Walker be benched for saying "take that"
is laughable, especially in light of the choking, spitting, fighting on
and off court, alleged sexual assaults and throwing a fan through a
window that have happened this year.  And May is applying a double
standard.  For instance, I don't remember him writing anything about
Reggie Miller--a veteran who should know better, and certainly a key to
his organization--sneaking up on Vlade Divac to throw a retaliatory
elbow to the head, and getting a suspension in the middle of a division
race.

May might picture himself as a crusading journalist, but he's the one
being boorish.  How about if the Globe benches him for the rest of the
season?
--
Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI