Re: re-Antoine Article

Cecil,

I completely agree about the other sports.  Strike zones in open flouting
of the rule book are another peeve of mine, as well as the confrontational
actions of umps, their showboating, eagerness to put themselves above the
game, etc. Still, usually when umpires have their arbitrary strike zone,
it's bad for everyone, regardless of the pitcher and team.  Now, I know
that there are exceptions and I don't know that this applies to Rose
(didn't see the game) but I know Roger used to get squeezed something
fierce before he fled the country (and maybe it sill applies?).  The thing
about basketball refs is that the calls are not arbitrarily bad or
consistent for all players.  Specific players and teams are targeted.  Does
it contribute to the celtics getting more fouls called/fewer free throws
than anyone else in the league?  I think the Karl Malone/Michael Jordon
magic force field is unfair to the point of unethical. I can't see it as
bad reffing or human error.  It also can greatly impact the outcome of the
game and that's criminal

Bill