Re: re-Antoine Article

At 09:46 PM 4/6/98 -0300, Cecil  wrote:

>If you think Toine is being treated well by the refs, you've been watching
>something other than Celtic basketball this year.  I disagree entirely, as I
>think he doesn't get many calls that he probably deserves because of his
>disposition.  I don't think it aids the rest of the team either.  He is
>unquestionably a supreme offensive talent, but a shooter he is not.  He
>outquicks his defender on drives to the hoop.  Antoine Walker isn't going to
>win many games by banking in a buzzer-beater.  As the saying goes: "You get
>more bees with honey."
>
>Cecil

[rant on]
This is the one thing about the NBA, in general, that I truly hate - the
one thing that brings a great game down to the level of validity of WWF.
We accept it so easily that we know longer think it abnormal (it's just
part of the game...) but calling or not calling fouls for any reason not in
the rule book is wrong.  Just because you're peeved at a player or
star-struck by a superstar is not a legitimate reason,  Neither is the
"respect" that rookies need to earn (another bogus rationalization).  It's
no different than scoring or not scoring  because you've got one eye on the
point spread.  It borders on fixing games and , while maybe not as
unethical as cheating the IRS or somesuch, is not reflective on proper
professional character.
[rant off]

Bill