Walker/Mercer, Billups

I'm glad that the recent "Walker vs. Mercer:  Choose One" debate seems
to be dying down.  It's a choice I'd hate to make.  I enjoy watching
each of them play and I love it when they work together, as they did
last night on that spectacular alley-oop.  I don't care if it looked
more like Magic to Worthy than it did Bird to Parish.  It was great, and
I hope we get to see many more like it for the next 15 years.

Sure, Antoine's a bit of a showboat, but after last year he's earned the
right to celebrate any hard fought victory.  Sure, he should learn to be
diplomatic with the refs.  But he has a point -- he does get abused in
the post.  My biggest complaint is that as of now, he wouldn't be able
to take advantage if the refs did send him to the free throw line more
often.  He's got to work harder at the stripe.  He also should improve
his shot selection and learn to give the ball up sooner (I suspect
Anderson's presence will help tremendously on both counts).

As for Mercer, he seems quietly poised to fill Reggie Lewis' shoes.  I
don't say that lightly; I think Reggie was a great player who richly
deserves to have had his number retired.  Mercer should work on his D
and his range; I have no doubt that both will come.  His stoic,
businesslike demeanor is a great counterpoint to Walker's exuberance.
They make a great couple.  Let's keep 'em together until #s 8 and 5 are
raised to the rafters.

Re:  Chauncey.  As pleased as I am at the effect Anderson's presence has
had on the offense, I miss Chauncey -- especially after reading his
comments in the Globe.  I am rooting for Billups to have an
unspectacular '99 and '00 in Toronto so that the C's can re-sign him as
a third guard.  He isn't an ideal point (especially on a young team) and
may never be one, but he plays excellent defense, can score, works hard
and has a lot of tenacity and heart.  Maybe we can steal him back.

Michael Gooen