Re: Creative trade(s) for a scoring "3"

-----Original Message-----
From: CeltsSteve <CeltsSteve@aol.com>

>There was much discussion in the days leading up to the trade deadline re:
the
>C's possible involvement in a 3-way deal with Miami and Sacramento with the
>C's ending up with Mashburn and Miami ending up with Mitch Richmond and the
>Kings ending up with essential pieces of the C's future. The trade never
>happened because RP didn't/wouldn't part with Billups AND Mercer

I am really glad that it didn't happen because Mashburn is not worth all
that.

>Fast forward 4 months to the days leading up to the draft. Miami still
craves
>another shooting guard as Brent Barry is giving indications of signing
>elsewhere on July 1st and they also have a hole in the front court with the
>inclusion of Austin the Barry deal with the Clippers.

If that is true then it would be more like Miami doesn't want to sign Berry
because they can still pay him the most. They can also go another route and
sign and trade Barry to the Warriors for Sprewell who Riley wants.

>Anybody think the Heat might be interested in trading up to get the C's
pick
>(currently #9 or 10 with no lucky bounces) and try to grab Miles Simon from
>Arizona to play alongside of Hardaway; along with either Knight or Minor
for
>Mashburn?

Looking at his track record Riley is not into rookies and doesn't want to
waste his time on them and Miles Simon is not that highly sought after. So I
don't see this happening.

>Minor could be the heir to Majerle's slot in one year when he (Marle) is a
>free agent at virtually the same amount of $$ as Majerle makes or Knight
could
>be used as a hedge against the Heat also losing "the Pogo Man" (Mark
>Strickland) to free agency or for after next season when Terri Mills
becomes a
>free agent.

I don't see that, Minor is not a front line player. He plays good defense
and has limited range on his shot. He hasn't improved from last year or year
before so I don't see anybody trading for him unless we package him with the
draft pick.

>The C's get one of the missing pieces to their puzzle, a high scoring SF
that
>has terrific 3-point range, something that is absolutely a must in Pitino's
>system without sacraficing cap room. In fact, they would be creating cap
room
>because they wouldn't have to add the salary of the #9 draft slot at all to
>their cap. With whatever cap room they had could all be channeled toward
>signing a Center.

I am not that high on Mashburn, this year under Riley he is showing us
something. This is  because he is playing with an excellent point guard and
two very good inside players in Mourning/Ike Austin & Brown. Miami's strong
inside game translates into Mash getting good looks to the basket..which may
not work in Boston where he has to take his man off the dribble and create
his own shot.

>Who's out there?  Austin, Geiger, Ratliff, Longley, Perdue, Divac, Rik
Smits,
>and Laettner if you want to say he could play Center in the C's system.
>Realistically, the C's should have enough cap room to make a run at any of
>them except Austin but I would think they'd also shy away from Smits
(because
>of age and injuries) and Perdue (age and too slow).

That's a pretty good crop centers and here is my analysis of who will go
where:

I disagree with you on Smits. He is the best center among this bunch and
will demand and get his money from the Pacers.

Divac too would get a large paycheck unless he screws up his contract over
location and signs up with the Clips in which case he will deserve what he
gets .

76ers are happy with Ratliff so he too will be signed and since the 76ers
have Coleman up in the middle so they can play with a 6'10"235 lb center.

If the Hornets can't sign Divac they will go for Geiger. Divac is better
offensively but Geiger has better defensive presence otherwise they are
equal. IMO Charlotte will sign the player that's asking lesser money.

Longly in all probability will be signed by Chicago, Perdue won't fit our
system which leaves Geiger, Austin and Laetner. Laetner according to rumours
has refused a 7 year 60 mill contract which kind of puts him over the
budget. Between Geiger and Ike, I like Ike more and his stock has fallen and
I don't see him signing with Utah because they don't have cap room
either..so unless the Suns get him we should have a fair chance of getting
him at 7 mill per.
                                                                 - Mishra