Re: Celts Come Back!!!!: Boston 101-Detroit 100

Bill Cooper said:
> Antoine.  Walker made a couple of fakes, then dribbled the ball to his
> right, and put up an awkward looking jumper, without being squared up
> to the basket, with a second left on the clock.  The resulting high
> arcing shot, banged off the backboard (I do not, for a minute, believe
> that Toine meant to go glass) and careened through the basket with
> 0:00 showing on the clock.  The Celts win 101-100.

  Quite a finish!  I was so worried when the ran the clock down so far.
Too often I've seen them get trapped taking an off-balance outside shot
at the buzzer because they let the clock run down too far before getting
into it.  This one wasn't even the best of shots, but I was impressed
with how Antoine kept his cool under the extended defensive pressure,
and just drove sideways to give himself an open shot, even though it wasn't
as close as they wanted.  For once, he focussed on getting open instead of
looking flashy.  I guess buzzer-beaters game-winners are flashy enough
without you having to add anything to them.

  Having the luxury of a videotape reply, I slowed it down to find that he
took the shot with 2 seconds left, and it passed through the rim with
0.2 seconds left, and was resting in the net with 0.1 seconds left.  Not
like the Pistons would be able to get off a shot in that much time.

  An interesting thing to see was how all the Celtics players and staff
and assistants were celebrating and smiling and running onto the court
after the shot, arms raised, high fives, etc., except for Pitino, who
showed no expression on his face, and simply walked off the court.  Do
you think he might have been concerned about showing up another team on
their home court?  Antoine sure wasn't concerned.  He was jumping and
wiggling and celebrating and fist-pumping all over every inch of the court.

Jon Mc