Re: positions

>What Pitino is thinking about, I think, is the fact that you really can't
>draft a center unless you have a number one pick.  Even then you often get
>burned.  So he's looking at free agents, and I think Geiger is probably better
>than we give him credit for.  I suspect Rick will try to move Travis or Dana
>with the pick to free up salary cap room, and get a scoring three, and then
>use the money for Geiger, and somebody else.  My feeling is, with the kind of
>offense we should have next year (assuming we get a scoring three), we don't
>really need a scoring center, just a shot blocker.  So I will go along with
>Warwick on this one:  get Ratliff.  But is he strong enough to bang with the
>big boys?  that may be the key thing.
>
>josh

I almost agree totally with Josh on this one. I'll make it fast, work is
calling, but I think the last game against Philly sums up the problem for
the Celtics. Walker scored 32 points, Mercer 18, the center position shot a
combined 2-9 for a scorching total of 5 points. The Celtics lost by 5 being
outshot at the free throw line 44-18. Declercq played 23 minutes and made
one shot. Does pathetic adequately describe that? The waiting is over,
especially now that Mercer is blossoming into one of the best shooting
guards in the league and Anderson is coming back for a full season. Pitino
says he wants another scoring forward and a center. Geiger is big, strong,
is a good defender, and has a much better low post game than Declercq. He's
better than Declercq period. Declercq has no business playing 23 minutes /
starting in the NBA with his offensive skills. Put Geiger and another
scoring forward on a team with Walker, Mercer and Anderson, and the Celtics
go 53-29 next year. Is Geiger worth 7 mil? Eldon Campbell gets 7 mil. and
makes zero difference on his team. Geiger might make a world of difference
to the Celtics. 7 mil. might not be a bad deal for the team.

Paul M.

ps. Agree on Ratliff.... might be too "small."