Geiger-Counter (proposal)

Jim wrote:
>>> JIm <gandahlf@capecod.net> 04/01/98 06:55am >>>
I really cant see paying Geiger 7 mil +!!  I would much rather see the
youth movement continue and clear up cap space for next year (can you
say Vin Baker) I think he would be worth the wait!!

Here, here!  Unfortunately, Pitino has shown a propensity to make hasty
player personnel decisions during his short tenure with the
Celtics--particularly in regards to acquiring big men (re:  Travis Knight's
exorbitant contract).

In this case, I don't think it would be wise to sign a stop-gap player like
Geiger.  Such decisions always strike me as  "get-rich-quick" moves
(reminiscent of personnel moves made in the last ten years by the
Sixers, Mavericks, Warriors et al, which usually serve to perpetuate the
team's mediocrity or hasten the team's decline).

Geiger's not a bad player, but the Celtics can do better.  Maybe not via
this draft, or through this year's free agent crop, but at some point in the
future, a better option will present itself.  I'm still shaking my head about
signing Knight;  I don't want to see Pitino make the same mistake twice.

Rome wasn't built in a day;  neither can this franchise be restored to its
rightful place in the NBA hierarchy in one year.  Patience!

Ryan