Jeremy P. Ryan wrote:

> What is your definition of actual player? Chris Dudley won't make any
> bigger difference than Buck Williams last year, or Herb the year before.
> The last time I checked, defense and rebounding weren't problems for the
> Knicks. So, what do they do? They draft Charles Oakley's clone, and then
> trade a decent (no more, no less) scorer for another 6 fouls against any
> real center in the league. They blew it last year when they drafted three
> players who essentially play the same position, and Wallace was by far the
> best of the three.
>
> P.S.-- Jason Cipolla shot 85% from the line just last season. Remember
> him? The guy who tied it up against Georgia on a certain March evening in
> 1996? After which the aforementioned Wallace sank the three to win it?
>
> I remember.

I don't think it's necessary to expound at length on my definition of an
"actual player" -- let's just say it doesn't have Wallace's (or JASON
CIPOLLA'S!) picture next to it in the dictionary.  Dudley is a useful
backup for a team that desperately needs to protect its aging franchise
player.  Wallace is just another one of a long line of talented 'Cuse
alums who haven't a clue what it takes to cut it in the pros.  Here's an
interesting question:  how many Syracuse players have NBA championship
rings (and no, the '54-55 Nationals don't count).  How many have even
come close?

Wow, that Wallace shot really was great, though.  Almost as good as Tate
George's shot off the Scotty Burrell baseball pass in 1990.  Or, for
that matter, KEITH SMART's game winner in 1987....