Re: McDyess

In message <3.0.1.32.19970909125113.007bfb40@172.24.1.5>, Nathan said:
> I know this isn't really about the Celtics, but what does everyone think
> Denver will do with McDyess? Will they trade him for a top point guard, or
> keep him and risk losing him at the end of the season?

There was a column in today's Denver Post that says McDyess is not in contact
with the Nuggets or his agent.  They would love to talk contract, but he is
not making himself available.  If you want to read it, go to:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/nugs42.htm

The Nuggets apparently would like McDyess to sign a long-term extension with
below-market money and a three-year out clause.  They need him, but they also
need cap room to go after a free agent or two next year.  Once they have a
team built around him, they would resign him to a mega deal.  If they give
him a big deal now, they are stuck with a poor team around him and no way to
improve.

The talk is, McDyess is not sold on the idea.  He wants his payday *now*, or
at least next year, rather than in three.  He also has seen the Nuggets go
from poor to pitiful during his two years here, and is not confident they are
capable of putting a good team around him if he waits.

If the Nuggets cannot sign him by October 1, he will definitely be on the
trading block.  The Nuggets' letting Mutombo go for nothing was a PR
disaster, and I do not think they can afford to let that happen again.

That said, I do not think the Celtics can get him without giving up too much.
 Billups and Walker would get you McDyess and Jackson, probably.  This year,
that would be a pretty good deal, but I think the Celtics would regret it for
years to come.  McDyess is an awesome talent, but kind of soft-spoken and
shy.  This demeanor carries over on the court.  He seems to get uncomfortable
being the "main man", and disappears when the team needs him to step up.  He
also cannot play center...no way, no how.  He is a pure PF...period.
- --
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com