>feel there is only two coaches in the league.  Pat Riley and Rick Pitino.
>The rest just want to be like them.  I dont want to hear Phil Jacksons
>name.  A monkey could coach that team.

I think that would depend on the species of monkey -- but basically I agree
that Jackson is not such a great coach. I recently read his little book and
came away pretty unimpressed. He talks in fairly vague terms about applying
Zen principles to basketball, playing selflessly, etc. but I don't think he
really knows himself what he means by much of this. In fact he describes a
whole bunch of other ideas from pop psychology, etc. that he also applies
to coaching -- there is no particular rhyme or reason here. Rick Pitino's
book is much more focused and he clearly has a set of consistent principles
on how to suceed at basketball and life.

However, the Jackson fits well with the Bulls for I think 2 reasons; one is
their use of the triangle offense, which relies a lot on player movement
and team play. Jackson's philosophy of coaching fits in very well with this
kind of system. In addition, Jackson's style of coaching fits well a team
of established stars, where the challenge is not teaching the guys how to
play, but getting them to work together. How many other coaches could have
earned the degree of loyalty shown by two such different persons as Michael
Jordan and Dennis Rodman? I have no doubt though that Jackson would be a
poor choice for a young developing team such as the Celtics. In contrast I
expect Pitino will be great for a young, developing team. He clearly
excelled in the college game, where *every* team is young and developing.

I wonder though how Pitino will do with a successful, established team of
veterans? Will he get under their skin as too domineering, etc.? I wonder
if Pitino will turn out to be the next Bill Fitch?

Just shooting the breeze here.

- -Marc