Re: Dee

Dorine Pratt wrote:
>Could we give Dee Brown a chance?  Is that asking too much?  I think he
>deserves what may be his last chance to realize the potential he's
>always had, under the right coach.  I don't want Scottie Pippin in a
>Celtics uniform.  He'll never be a Celtic, he'll always be a Bull.
>Also, I repeat what I said earlier, I believe he will tend to be injured
>alot from now on and is on the down side of his career.  That's just
>what the Celtics need, get rid of good, young talent for a super star
>who will warm the bench for years to come while drawing a huge salary.
>I've never been fond of Kemp either, but I'd prefer him if we have to
>have one of them.

As to giving Dee a chance, well, he's been given many already. People who
put his recent poor play and attitude down to ML (which includes Dee himself
in various interviews) haven't been watching -it began with his sophmore
season, well before ML. And it's tough to keep giving chances to someone who
has always found someone or something else to blame, never recognizing his
own failings.

OTOH, I was struck by the irony that you complain about people brushing the
historically underachieving, oft injured, frequent attitude problem that is
Dee, while you blithely brush off Scotty Pippen without giving him even the
chance you ask people to give Dee. Scotty has much less history of major
injury than Dee, but you assume *he's* the one that's going to be the broken
down hulk on the bench in the near future. And Pippen has done some less
than admirable things (such as the 'migraine' playoffs and the infamous
refusal to go in a game) but less continually than Dee. Finally, he's at
least performed up to his talent -something Dee only did his rookie year.

Don't get me wrong, I hope for his and the Cs sake that the 'new Dee' is for
real. And I was not a big fan of Pitino's efforts to get Pippen for the Cs.
But fair's fair. I'll give Dee a fair chance to prove that the new Dee is
for real and that playing under Pitino can make a real difference to him.
But he's going to have to prove it, I'm not just going to assume it's the case.

- -Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net