Re: RP Euphoria

> From:          "Uncle Odie" <ttfn11@hotmail.com>
> To:            celtics@igtc.com
> Subject:       RP Euphoria
> Date:          Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:26:13 PST

> Michael Zaino:
>
> If any coolege were to get Coach K as a coach, they would obviously give
> him leeway and respect/appreciate the moves that he makes.  While it is
> always nice to hear a dissenting opinion, you are belaboring the talent
> evaluation point.

My point wasn't that we shouldn't give RP some leeway, it was a
question of how much leeway. Every new coach/gm should be given some
leeway. You don't want to judge anyone too quickly. However, there is
a point when the kid gloves come off, I am just asking when does that
point come for the people on this list

> Could it be possible that the C's HAD very little talent to bargain with
> when RP came aboard?  YES

True there was little talent, and any mistakes that involve only
marginal talent are minor in nature and not that important. My point
was more prospective, if you think RP has made an error in judgment,
even with very marginally talented players, can you extrapolate those
mistakes and say he might do the same with some better than marginal
talent. I think so. Also, RP purged the team. His two most recent
moves, (Mills and Massenberg) involved players he signed with the
little precious cap room the team had.

> Could it be that he traded for players that he knew he could "trade up"
> for someone else?  YES
If RP did say trade for/sign Mills just to trade him to the Knicks,
he a is looking forward quite a bit and maybe taking a chance. One
thought that has been mentioned on this list is that RP might have
had an agreement with the knicks to trade Mills from the get go. If
so, this is a risky move. You have to get Mills to agree and if the
NBA gets wind of shady moves to get under cap, it might take action.
Consider the Juwon Howard/Miami Heat debacle. Also, why not just
trade with NY to begin with, (the four players to Boston a 2d
round pick for Boston's 2nd round pick.)  Thereby creating cap room
for the Knicks to sign Mills. Why are we bringing in Mills, bragging
about how great he fits the 'system' and then trading him a week
before the season starts. Surely the Knicks would have rather had
him two months ago so he could work with team. By the way, there is
a rumor that the Knicks might trade Mills. Is this also part of a
huge plan? Are the Knicks playing the same game the C's are
supposedly playing. I don't think. RP made a mistake and is trying to
cover his tracks, which is commendable. I wish ML had done so more
often. But it doesn't eliminate the fact that he has made a mistake.

> Don't make a federal case out of Pitino's moves.  Sit back and try to
> appreciate what he is doing and then no one will mind when you jump on
> the Pitino bandwagon when the Celts are doing well.

I am not making a federal case out of Pitino's moves. It seems to me
like everyone else is. I am merely treating RP the way I would any
new coach: with both skepticism and optimism. As for your implication
that I am some kind of bandwagon fan, I resent that whole-heartedly.
I supported the Pitino from the get-go. My point is precisely that
it seems that too many people are blindly jumping on the Pitino
bandwagon. I don't think any real fan ever 'jumps on a bandwagon' and
that indicates what I think of your implicit acknowledgement that
you have jumped on the bandwagon.

Mike Zaino