RE: Chris Mills, we hardly knew ye...

- -----Original Message-----
From:	JLyell [SMTP:jlyell@concentric.net]
Sent:	Thursday, October 23, 1997 1:37 PM
To:	celtics@igtc.com
Subject:	Re: Chris Mills, we hardly knew ye...

>The Celtics have just traded Chris Mills (didn't Pitino say that Mills was
a guy who he expected to have a round for the next 7 years?) to the New
York
Knicks along with 2 second round picks (New York's choice of any two of the
C's next six second rounders) for Walter McCarty, Dontae Jones, John
Thomas,
and Scott Brooks.

>What exactly is the point of a deal like this.  Obviously, the C's beef up
the frontcourt and ditch Mills' salary (I imagine none of the others are
signed long term), but they now have 17 players on their roster.  No way
the
NBA lets them hide *five* players on the injured list.  Even if we assume
that Scott Brooks and Cunningham are toast, that still leaves 15 players,
three of which can't make the team.

>Either Pitino has something else in the works, or he made the whole Knick
>deal for one or two players and he is going to eat some contracts.

This is an interesting move and based on Antoine's early play he could be
starting at 3.   All these players we received are questionable with Scott
Brooks actually being the most proven which is sad to say.  Another suspect
move as it is really a move of Eric Williams for these players , but we
have
enough players for a J.V team !  Anyone know Thomas' actual size ? Isn't he
something like 6'10 250 ?

I like McCarty but isn't he sort of a tweaner ?  Will  we see Epps,  Delk
and maybe Rodric Rhodes  or Wayne Turner in the near future ?

I agree, this an interesting move but it could also be to open up a
starting or sixth man spot for Bowen, as Pitino has expressed real
enthusiasm in the bloke. I'm still not sure if I like the move though,
Mills was starting to look like he was getting used to the system and then
bang! Hes gone.
I listened to the first half of the game today and Barros scored 16 in the
first half, he ended up hitting 5 of his 7 threes too. I must say that he
has my vote for starting PG on opening night.
Ad.