the trade

          Count me among those shocked by the Mills trade. I thought
          the front line was a lock -- Mills, Walker and Knight. Like
          everyone else, I expected any trades to come from the
          backcourt.

          I still think this must be part of another move. This leaves
          a gaping hole in the front line. Walker can play either
          forward position, but we really don't have a player capable
          of starting at either forward position other than Walker.
          DeClercq and Massenburg are backups, along with McCarty,
          Jones and Thomas. We may try to start McCarty for a while,
          but I don't see that lasting long. Maybe Knight and Pervis
          together? That doesn't sound right.

          Besides, we have too many players. We already were facing a
          tough roster decision, and now it's even tougher. Brooks and
          Cunningham are gone, that gets us down to 14. Thomas figures
          to start on the injured list, which makes it 13, but after
          that, who knows? And what happens when Thomas is healthy. I
          have to think we might be working on a package for a scoring
          forward (preferably power forward, so Antoine can play small
          forward) that fits the system and can move into the starting
          lineup.

          Anyway, I like the idea of getting younger, as long as they
          are quality players. I've never liked McCarty, but Pitino
          obviously does. Jones is a talented offensive player, but
          lacks quickness and doesn't rebound or defend well. I know
          nothing about Thomas, except he's supposed to be a banger.

          Also, count me among those seriously concerned with Billups.
          I know he's just a rookie, but he's also the third overall
          pick in the draft. You expect him to show more than he has.
          I hope we start to see it soon.

          Mark