Re: Will this style work?

At 12:19 PM 10/21/97 -0400, Tom Bisson wrote:
>The most fascinating aspect of the upcoming Celtic season will be
>watching whether or not a running-trapping-pressing strategy can be an
>effective style of play in the NBA. Certainly this experiment will need
>to run the course of more than one season, and if it works, whether or
>not other teams adopt this style.
>
>The questions I have are: Can you really trap and press NBA players who
>almost all have size, strength, speed, skills and experience? Is the
>current court size too small for this strategy to work in the NBA?
>
>I'm optimistic about Pitino's style if it means turning possessions into
>sprints toward the basket. That's where I think speed will make a big
>difference - get to the basket before defenses set. No team has done
>this consistently well since the "Showtime" Lakers.
>
>- tom

	All that I have to say in response to whether or not the new style of play
will work or not is that we'll just have to wait and see. I think that it's
ironic that Pitino is trying to change the stlye of play in the NBA when
RED did it back in the 50's. Don't you think that people were doubting RED
when he tried to institute the fast break into the game of basketball. I
believe that it's only fitting that a new Celtics coach is again going to
transform the style of play in the NBA. To be quite frank I love what
Pitino is trying to do with the Celts. I believe that the college style of
play suits fans better anyways because I know a lot of people who will sit
down and watch a college game from the whistle to the final buzzer but will
only watch maybe one half of an NBA game. I really don't know but I think
this will be something worth waiting for!!!

GO CELTICS!!!!!!!

- -MaTt KeEnAn