Re: Bucks Beat Press

>Unfortunately the 4th game of the pre-season was one of regression for the
>Celtics.  Except for the 2nd quarter, the Bucks dominated by breaking the
>press.  Ray Allen and Glenn Robinson showed superior talent.  It was obvious
>that the Celtics lost confidence each time they were broke.  Pitino was not a
>happy camper.
>
>Lance

I don't mean to be an alarmist, and believe me, I realise it's early and
everybody is young and playing together for the first time, but...what if
there's a perfectly good and obvious reason nobody in the NBA plays
running, pressing, trapping basketball anymore? What if the players are
just too quick and too athletic for a pressing and trapping defense to
work? I mean...it certainly looks like the Celtics are going to give up as
many easy baskets as they make. Now, I've only listened to these games on
the radio (realaudio/WEEI) so I could be way off here, but it certainly
seems like teams are getting way too many uncontested easy shots. So...is
this true? But....sure, it has to be the youth and inexperience of these
players right? The system is new, it's early, they're all
confused...sure...nothing to worry about...right?

Paul M.