Re: 16 observations and predictions....

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, mark piotrowski wrote:

> Some observations after watching both games on TV.  Remember these are
> extrapolated out for the regular season, not based soley on the sheer
> outcome of the games.
>
> 1.  Walker makes the All-star team.  Avgs 23 pts, 10 reb, 4 asst

Agreed, but I think his numbers might even be better.  Right now he is
being looked to account for over 33% of the offense, and he is the only
low post threat.  I wouldn't be shocked to see something like 26, 11, 4 if
he stays healthy.
> 1a.  Walker looks like what everyone thought Billy Owens WOULD turn into
> coming out of college (not what he did turn into) - a Magic Johnson type.

Agreed.

> 2.  Billups (once he gets comfortable in Pitino's system, which could take
> as long as midseason) is the next KJ.  His build and game are carbon
> copies.

I hope you are right, but I really don't see the comparison.  KJ is
slightly smaller, and appears to be much faster.  I believe KJ is only
6'1". and he has major league quickness and leaping ability.  Billups is
6'3", and not nearly as quick or high flying (I've read an article that
said Billups had trouble dunking in a clinic for youth this summer)  In
games he has not been nearly as quick as Ron Mercer, Dee Brown, Dana
Barros, or even Bowen.   I hope he shows more, but simply put, he does not
seem to be the superior athlete that was advertised.  he still has plenty
of time to develop, but as I've said before - he seems to be the least
developed point guard I've ever seen taken this high in the draft.

> 3.  Bowen is for REAL!!  I say he's this team's Kevin Gamble (c. 1991-3)
> but better.

I need a lot more time on Bowen.  SO far he hasn't shown me any of the
ofensive skills Gamble has, and he has been much better defensively than
Gamble.

> 4.  Blasphemy:  Pitino (or someone) changes the warmup uni's! Ugh.  Is it
> just a matter of time till the real uniforms get a makeover?  Lets hope
> not!!
>
> 5.  Cousy:  "DeClercq is Cowens before he got all the skills".  DeClercq
> (my main man from UF) filled the lanes real nicely on a couple of breaks.
> Pitino will develop him into a poor man's Horace Grant.
>
> 6.  Bowen, Knight & DeClercq were steals.

I'm not ready to agree to any of these.

> 7.  Celtics will start slowly (13-20 thru Jan. 10) and finish just above .500
Agreed, but I would be shocked if they won more than 10 games over this
time period.  I think .500 is impossible with the current personel/

> 8.  Coleman is a real interesting guy to hand onto.  Huge and kinda mobile
Interesting yes.  Huge, yes.  Mobile, no.

> 9.  Ellison is the key to our playoff chances.  Remember this is a guy who
> can put up 20 pts. and 10 rebs when healthy.  Problem is that's not real
> often.  Looked good though.

I agree he is the key to the season (but I think he is the diference
between 25 and 35 wins, not the playoffs.)  Ellison seems very agressive,
and is out and out more athletic and skilled on the interior than anyone
on the team except for Walker.  If he stays healthy, we suddenly have a
somewhat functional front court.

> 10.  Dee, while looking kinda lost and rusty, will have a nice season
> before being traded.

I hope you are right, but he really looks like he did last year.

> 11.  Mercer was behind on offense (his shot wasn't falling) but his D was
> real nice.  Blocked a shot coming from behind on the break.

The block was awesome.  Flat out superior athletic ability.  His overall
defense was not very impressive.  Steve Smith destroyed him, and I really
haven't seen Mercer able to get out int time to bother an 18 foot jumper.
He does not move his feet well.  All of these things will be learned.  I
feel fairly good about him, and I think in another year he may be a very
good player.  Right now, he is not a good defender/